Re: new problem - it is extremely slow booting older instances of ToriOS

Hi Israel,
[inline]

Den 2016-05-03 kl. 01:51, skrev Israel:
Hi Nio
(inlines)

On 05/02/2016 04:43 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Den 2016-05-01 kl. 15:32, skrev Nio Wiklund:

Hi again Israel,

I continued testing.

0. Using some recent previous iso files (with and without updates)
created big problems after sudo update-grub in the installed systems.
kernel panics and other show-stopping errors. So this was a bad idea.

Wow... good to know
-o-

1. I installed ToriOS from the current daily iso file (using the basic
OBI level) into partition #1 and swap into partition #2.

- default language and other settings (but skipped pae kernel).

The installation worked :-) but /mnt still mounted after quit from the
installer :-(

hmmm...  can I have the log please?

I'm sorry, but I think they are long gone. I have rebooted several times.

In the installed system:

- Update/dist-upgrade found nothing to upgrade.

I ran sudo update-grub, and the reboot was fast (like it should).

Great this may be fixed perhaps..

2. I installed Lubuntu "yakkety yak, don't talk back" in partition #5.
It worked, ToriOS was found and fast to reboot into.

3. In ToriOS I ran sudo update-grub and sudo grub-install to get back
grub.

I rebooted, and both ToriOS and Lubuntu booted fast (like they should).

So running update-grub with healthy partitions and file systems will
not cause any problems with slowness.
This is really good to know

4. I installed another instance of ToriOS into partition #6 and swap
into partition #2 (using the advanced OBI level, but not gparted,
partition #6 was already prepared when I booted).

- default language and other settings (but skipped pae kernel).

- You managed to unmount /mnt :-) but I noticed that the ext4
partitions were mounted at /media/... :-(

That is odd.
Did you mount them in a file dialog, or PCManFM??

No I did not. I assumed that the OBI-installer could unmount them.

5. I rebooted (default now into partition #6). This time there was a
problem, maybe a glitch with the BIOS in my Toshiba. After shutdown
and cold boot, it worked.

I run sudo update-grub to get access to the previously installed
operating systems.

6. I rebooted into itself (partition #6). It was fast like it should.

Good trend!
7. I rebooted into the other ToriOS (partition #1). It was very slow :-(
but finally succeeded.

I rebooted again without 'quiet splash' (1 min 30 s delay).

'A start job is running for dev-disk-by ... (and a timer until 1 min
30 seconds has passed). I think such errors are somehow connected to
systemd, at least it happened during testing when systemd was introduced.

yes, this is systemd stuff for sure.  I have run into it before
8. I rebooted into Lubuntu and had the same problem (1 min 30 s delay).

This happens after running the OBI-installer at the advanced level. It
is not caused by gparted, and not by running sudo update-grub, because
it worked before running the OBI-installer at the advanced level.

Hmmm... so advanced is different by using confirm-partition rather than
select-device.
I should make a common script for both of those at some point.
-o-

*. So we have a system that works, but punishes previously installed
systems with a 1 min 30 s delay :-P

I see the problem, but I don't understand how it can happen, and I
don't know how to solve it :-(

I agree

But I have an idea how to work around it ;-)

Probably the only task that really might need chroot is installing the
bootloader, and that task might not cause this damage. Now you have
the same [grub] system in the live session and the tarball, so you
probably you do not even need chroot for that task. I don't use chroot
in my original One Button Installer, but it was introduced in 9w,
where I run a Debian system to install from Ubuntu tarballs.

No.  the entire user configuration happens in the chroot (setting the
language/timezone/username/password/installing pae etc...)
Those do not seem to have effected everything poorly.
But, my killing of dbus might.  please send the log, this will make
things more clear.

I don't understand what you are using dbus for, and how you are using it. Or is it activated automatically by the Debian Jessie system?

- Move the advanced chroot tasks into 'firstrun' tasks in the
installed system: for example sudo update-grub

I can definitely add that into firstrun.

Finally, I'm not suggesting that you should do this instantly.

*It might be better to release ToriOS-debian as it is now*

yes, you tested installing ToriOS on 2 partitions and Yakkety Yak (don't
talk back :D) on a 3rd.
This is probably not common.
But I think the log file will be very helpful to me finding the issue

I don't think it makes much difference what previous operating system there are. Maybe it makes a greater difference if it is an internal drive or a USB drive.

I can try that (and save the log files), probably later today.

It works, even if it is slow to boot the previously installed systems.
I think you should discuss it with the other involved people, at the
very least with Jack and Ali.