[IDEAS] ToriOS.web Packages [was: Re: The full list of ToriOS's packages]

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 11:38 PM, Israel <israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> alsa-utils,
>  desktop-file-utils,
>  *gdebi*,
>  gettext,
>  gnome-keyring,
>  gksu,
>  grub2,
>  gxmessage,
>  *imagemagick*,
>  jwm,
>  jwm-menu | jwm-menu-bash,
> * jwm-settings-manager* (>=2.0.0ubuntu1) | torios-jwmrc-script-tools,
>  libgtk2.0-bin,
>  libpam-gnome-keyring,
>  lightdm,
>  lightdm-gtk-greeter,
>  menu,
>  menu-xdg,
>  network-manager | wicd,
> * network-manager-gnome* | wicd-gtk,
>  *pcmanfm* | thunar | rox-filer | nautilus,
>
>  xfce4-power-manager | sdesk | *yad*,
>
> ### We don't use xfce4-power-manager we for the battery indicator we use a
> script + yad.  It has a lot of hefty depends!
>

>  *sakura* | gnome-terminal | xfce4-terminal | lxterminal,
>  torios-apthandler | apturl,
>  torios-core,
>  torios-plymouth |  torios-plymouth-text,
>  torios-doc,
>  volumeicon-alsa | *yad*,
>  wpagui,
> * x11-apps*,
>  xdg-user-dirs-gtk,
>  xkbset,
>  *xterm*,
>  *xtrlock*,
>  xsltproc,
>  *zenity*
>

> yad and zenity  make up many of our 'apps' and indicators
>
>  - volume/power are yad + bash
>
>  - logout/shutdown/suspend/hibernate are bash +
> yad/zenity/gxmessage/whatever dialogs
>
>  - About Computer/Common Tasks/Update System and Coftware/zLocate/zRun/Screenie/Calendar/Search
> and Install Software/Sticky Keys Chooser
>
> Are all bash scripts with a zenity/yad/dialog/etc... frontend GUI
>
> Altogether our scripts are 287.9 KiB in size
>
> The x11 apps are 2,166 kB (installed size from `apt show x11-apps` on
> 64bit)
>
> apt show torios-desktop  = Installed-Size: 1,660 kB
>
> The x11 apps give us a text editor that is not vi or nano, so it becomes
> much easier to edit files for the user.  It also includes a calculator, a
> screen magnifier, and a x11 manual browser.  I also has xload.
>
> We decided to go with these smaller packages because it gave us MANY more
> choices and made ToriOS very usable with no major package installs
>
> The user can install galculator/gnome-calculator or whatever and
> leafpad/mousepad/pluma/geany/whatever for text files.
>
> We chose not to install some of these other things, because the dependency
> sizes.  We get the basic functionality, and a smaller size.
>
> That said, I am open to getting rid of basically everything (no settings,
> no extra functionality like calculator/text editor/graphical
> shutdown/restart or software tools.)
>
> We could trim it down even further, no doubt about it.

Thanks a billion for providing the FULL list of ToriOS packages and even
better, it comes with great explanation. Highly appreciate that!

Now, from the new subject of this email, I guess it shows my real intention
and why I asked about that to begin with.

ToriOS.web, of course if we approved that, will be the lightweight version
of ToriOS. If everything goes well, this will be a great test for ToriOS
2.0 or maybe the later versions. I have some other ideas in mind but I
won't share everything at once. I'll do it step by step.

I'm so much interested to offer two versions or flavours of ToriOS:
ToriOS
and
ToriOS.web

The web version/flavour will NOT include some packages. Users have to
install whatever they want. We shall focus on the 'main' packages which
make ToriOS the system we all knew.

Also, we need to reduce the menu's entries.

Needless to say, ToriOS.web will be shipped with a web browser or maybe
more than just one.

That's the initial plan.

Oh, and ToriOS.web will be based on Debain so nothing to change in this
regard.

I'll go through the list very carefully and then send my proposed list.
After that, we can discuss which package can go and which package must stay.

Many thanks once more!

Best Regards,
Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

Follow ups