Re: About Me Application

On 2/9/19 1:21 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> On 09/02/2019 13:52, Israel wrote:
>> On 2/8/19 1:10 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:
>>>
> Thanks for that,  It had not really occurred to me that it was linked to
> the info you put in when adding a user with adduser. (given the fields
> it makes sense now)
>
> Anyway as my version has gone off at a tangent as a result (collects
> more data e,g e-mail) it can now write to a data file.  Not sure if it
> is still useful generally for uses to store their info though.
>
> To do:
>
> 1. Fix -  writing what is selected in the drop down.
>
> 2. Auto retrieve data upon loading. (so the drop down default should be
> what ever was selected before)
>
> I think as it stores locally it is fine
>
> Does ToriOS need a tool like this?  or do we have one already ?
>
> I am getting there.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

We do have a utility that could be extended to do this.

Our program fladduser does indeed add users, but I did not add that
functionality as I didn't think it was useful on a desktop computer, for
the average user.  But it would not take much effort on my part to add
it in, either.

I have tended to stay away from Python usage in ToriOS because the
overhead incurred when running applications (much heavier memory usage
than compiled binaries, or scripts).  The other issue, are you using
FLTK with python, or GTK?

We have tried to work our way away from installing GTK things by default
(obviously PCManFM is GTK, and LightDM uses GTK currently).  This is why
I have been creating the ToriOS binary package, and the FLTK indicators.

That said, it still sounds like a useful application.  I would suggest
storing the information in vCard (vcf) format, since it would be useful
to use in that way especially.