Update

Still learning Rust, still working on xdgkit.  I've gotten most functionality, but have not gotten menu capabilities yet.

I have progressed fairly far in learning about FLTK + Rust and actually prefer it because of `Option` rather than `NULL`, as it presents the convention in an easier to understand and process, for example:

let variable:Type = match variable_as_option {
  Some(variable) => variable,
  None => Type::default(),
};
// do stuff with variable

Anyway, things are progressing slowly, but surely, as they always do with one developer working part time on a passion project XD

I''m also working on an FLTK + Rust game to really explore the things I can do for ToriOS.  I could likely create a Theme using the old color schemes from ToriOS.

I'm also learning XML APIs for Rust (for use with the menu), so I could potentially read something like a JWM, or openbox configuration file to "import" it into whatever we end up making. I would like to support both Wayland and X11 as you may recall, as to support a faster OS on the low-spec Pinephone.  This is a long goal, as the devices are still pretty usable with the high density DEs on them.  FLTK already supports dynamic resizing without needing any code (if you use FLUID that is), and already runs on Android, so the toolkit is prime for use in Wayland environments, as it has already been tested on mobiles.  There is even the basics of a Keyboard, as well as existing Keyboards that can be vastly improved, for example: squeakboard - GTK + FLTK = waaaaay better.

The other major thing I am considering is overall setup.  On a BIG screen, the App launcher should go on the same panel as the indicators, however on a small screen it should e split off to the bottom.  So I was thinking of potentially creating a "Panel" app at some point, that potentially wraps itself to the bottom (and autohides with a small tab to pull up) so no one would have to configure it to simply use their desktop configuration file.  It would choose the more common phone conventions, yet still have the common "Left side of screen = app launcher", but also the common "bottom side of screen = app launcher", which can be pretty common on the desktop (Windows, Chrome, etc...) as well.  Though on the desktop the Panel would still default to top, but could be changed to bottom as can be preferred.

Thanks to all who still lurk here and put up with my technical babble XD  Programming excites me, as does libre software, so thanks for letting me nerd vent on you all occasionally :D

--
😷