Re: StartUbuntu on ToriOS Website

On 02/07/2014 10:29 PM, Israel wrote:
On 02/07/2014 02:35 AM, Ali Linx wrote:
Hi Israel and everyone,

While StartUbuntu Community didn't yet decide whether ToriOS could be one of the alternatives we promote within StartUbuntu or not, I'd like to have StartUbuntu Banner and the Wiki Page of StartUbuntu on our website and I hope yo(u agree with me :)

It is for marketing or promotion purposes for both. StartUbuntu has no website. But whether we like it or not, ToriOS supposed to help the users with NON-PAE CPU and give them something that works. Many machines running Windows XP are NON-PAE with less love and support by FOSS - AFAIK, Bodhi Linux and Crunchbang are the only two available options.

Anyway, needless to go deep into technical details now, I really appreciate if we would add the banner:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/Artwork#Banners_of_StartUbuntu

I guess using the 900 banner is better.

Not sure which is better? clicking on the banner to go to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu or add that as a link somewhere next to the banner?
I leave this for you to decide :D

I hope you guys agree about this idea :)

Thank you!

Should this be at the top? Or bottom of the home page? I have put it at the top, as that seemed to be the best place for it....

Yes, on the top is better, thanks a lot. The website looks better now :)

I am also trying out different ideas for certain elements... so please be sure to REFRESH your browser when you go (Ctrl+F5... not just reload F5), so somethings may be drastically different.
Ctrl+F5 doesn't work :)

At this stage, it is very common to see weird/odd things so we do understand that, hopefully. IMHO, if you're working on a page, say 'Download' for example, you can put a note like "Under Construction" or anything like that. Or, just as we do with Wiki Pages, create a page for a test that only you and us (after sending a link to the team) can actually see it. Play with it and once it is done, you can copy/move the content to the 'live' page. I know only few know about our website but in order not to confuse people or something, they need to know the website or the current page they are on is under heavy work. Just to exceed everyone's expectation but no rush :)

@Ali... I have been thinking about CMS, and the pro's and con's.... and At this point, I think it would be better to simply edit the HTML. This will provide something simple, and be less vulnerable to defacement/hacking/etc... If no php/JavaScript is on a page, there is nothing to hack, except the server (which hopefully the host will be diligent to apply security updates).
Might sound weird, funny and/or odd but I admit my skills and experience with Websites are almost nothing. I am not happy with myself but I can't catch 10 apples at the same hand if you know what I mean :) I hope I could have at least one hour per day to learn more about websites but .. you know my tasks :(
That is why, I do trust you and your judgment.

If it would be easier for everyone, I might send you the text that I want to publish and you can publish that. How about that? maybe it is better for both of us? what do you think? I can use my blog and just send you a link of a post. You just need to copy-paste it (maybe?) and in case there are links involved, you can edit that. If that idea sounds good, I will start from tomorrow :)

If not, they not sure how can I access the website to add anything to the news?

Oh, I forgot ... how exactly the news section will look like??!! I mean, say there are 5 news published. How the news page will look like? something like:
http://ubuntugnome.org/

I have also tried to fix the 鳥 to be supported with an openfontlibrary font, called funky fuji.
So please test that to make sure it is visible.

Don't worry about that, it's my phone with no language support for that. On my Android phone, it works. So don't worry about it.

I would like to keep the site completely scalable from one stylesheet... but I have implemented a second stylesheet for the time being.... so anyhow... test away ToriOS Team!

You're doing a great job so far. I think William's idea was great. If everyone will do one or two tasks maximum, this will increase the efficiency and decrease the burning out for any member. I think we're doing great so far.

Just keep in mind, you don't really have to create the best website in the world at this stage. We need to fill the important gabs and put some valuable information on the website. Once the first phase is done, we can polish it the way we want later :)

Keep it up, everyone!

--
Ali/amjjawad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad