Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

On 05/22/2014 06:15 AM, Ali Linx wrote:
> Hola amigos,

Hi Ali!
> Hope everyone is fine and not sick like the poor me (nasty flu),
>
> Before I start taking any decision or creating any new blueprint, I'd
> like (as I always used to do with all my projects) to think loudly
> with my family (you) so let's see how this will develop :)
>
> ATTENTION:
> These are just ideas ... NOTHING yet confirmed :)
>
> 1- ToriOS is supporting Non-PAE machines by default - we have already
> agreed on that - just a reminder.
> 2- ToriOS is always an LTS - we too agreed on that as well - just a
> reminder.
> 3- ToriOS will be released every 12 months NOT every 6 months like
> Ubuntu - new idea.
> 4- ToriOS 1.0 is based on 12.04 LTS - we have discussed that before
> but didn't yet 100% agree on.
Why use 12.04?  14.04 is out now, so it seems better to use it to me...
is there a reason to use 12.04?

> 5- ToriOS 2.0 will be based on 14.04 LTS
> 6- nm-manager should not be used as far as I have read so far from
> different people all of them confirmed the big RAM eater is nm-manager.
I agree wicd is much lighter
> 7- While we're targeting low hardware machines (32-bit), shouldn't we
> also think of those who wish to try ToriOS on more powerful machine
> (64bit)? if that so, we need two builds: i386 and amd64.
PowerPC should also be built IMO
> 8- I need the Wiki and Docs team to write each and every post, not
> only about the system, how to use it, system requirement, etc ... no
> ... I'm planning to document the steps that we have done to create
> this or will create this system and YES, I mean the technical side so
> I guess both the docs and devs guys need to work side by side if you
> agree on this.
> 9- 60MB or 50MB? don't want to kill ourselves but if we could do that,
> why not? I guess you know what I'm talking about :)
50 is going to be VERY hard to do...  60 is going to be stretching it
too...
We are going to need a window manager, and something to handle the
desktop right?
This will take some work to achieve 60MB

> 10- Have we thought about the ISO size? any idea how big will it be?
> around 300MB? 400MB? less or more? AFAIK, it should never reach say
> 600MB, right?
As long as it fits on a CD.... smaller is better for people who have to
download it on slow internet
> 11- Where are we going to host the ISOs? do we have a host for that?
torios.org for now.... we can put some images on some of the cloud
storage services too, and have links to them
> 12- As long as ToriOS is based on Ubuntu, we can test it on Virtual
> Machine such as OracleVB, correct?
It should work just fine
> 13- By any chance, do we need to talk with Ubuntu/Canonical team about
> our Project? I mean is there any kind of approval or stuff like that
> we need? I'm talking about the technical side of our project as they
> should have nothing to do with the other stuff but maybe they do with
> the technical side, that is why I'm asking and we need to know IMHO.
> 14- Alpha 1, Alpha 2, Beta 1, Beta 2 and RC? or no need for that?
> should we just do Alpha, Beta and RC? these are milestones just like
> what Ubuntu GNOME or Lubuntu are doing when it comes to the
> development cycle.
I think it is a preference thing.  At this point, Alpha Beta RC is more
realistic, but if the devs want to do more releases, they can chime in
and say so.