Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

Hello everyone, I have only some minutes and make it short.

Am Donnerstag, 22. Mai 2014, 15:15:56 schrieb Ali Linx:
> Hola amigos,
>
> 3- ToriOS will be released every 12 months NOT every 6 months like
> Ubuntu - new idea.
I think it shouldn't be a big problem to rebuild the iso every 6 months a.k.a.
the point releases. But that is a minor issue.
> 4- ToriOS 1.0 is based on 12.04 LTS - we have discussed that before but
> didn't yet 100% agree on.
> 5- ToriOS 2.0 will be based on 14.04 LTS
+14.04, we will have to package a lot of stuff soon enough. 12.04 we have to
package a lot more.
> 6- nm-manager should not be used as far as I have read so far from
> different people all of them confirmed the big RAM eater is nm-manager.
We can make autostart of NetworkManager optional, I think. Most machines we
target shouldn't have Wifi, so everything is okay.
> 9- 60MB or 50MB? don't want to kill ourselves but if we could do that,
> why not? I guess you know what I'm talking about
The result of my testing iso was 70-80 MB, but with a file manager (SpaceFM),
nm-applet, xterm+htop. I'll try to replace SpaceFM with Rox, so we should be
at least under 70 MB. We will see what happens then.
> 10- Have we thought about the ISO size? any idea how big will it be?
> around 300MB? 400MB? less or more? AFAIK, it should never reach say
> 600MB, right?
Again, my testing iso as reference: it was ~500MB big, something like 3,5 GB
installed. But it was compressed with xz+bs=1M, that is a "slow" compression
with good compression ratio. Maybe it should fall back to the "normal"
compression, mainly because it's faster? But cd size would be the limit.
> 15- I know it is hard to tell at this point but any idea when ToriOS 1.0
> will be available to download and use? I know I'm the one who should
> announce that but if truth to be told, it is something that our devs
> should advise for and we haven't yet done anything serious.
Too big ambitions, but the first point release of 14.04 would be nice.

16- Do we have a Github repo, so I can share the script that I used to create
the testing iso? It's based on a script from the Ubuntu GNOME-team, so no big
magic. But it's working fine.

> Thank you!
Thank you, too!