Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

On 05/22/2014 09:39 PM, Jörn Schönyan wrote:
Hello everyone, I have only some minutes and make it short.

Hello, Jorn :)

Am Donnerstag, 22. Mai 2014, 15:15:56 schrieb Ali Linx:
Hola amigos,

3- ToriOS will be released every 12 months NOT every 6 months like
Ubuntu - new idea.
I think it shouldn't be a big problem to rebuild the iso every 6 months a.k.a.
the point releases. But that is a minor issue.

It is but we're all attached to other projects and real life and we have less time for ToriOS. It is going to be an overkill for me and a huge burden. Ubuntu GNOME is being released every 6 months. I honestly can't handle two projects to be released every 6 months unless we have totally different schedule.

The nature of ToriOS is different. The idea is:

Version 1.0 = 12.04 = 2014
Version 2.0 = 14.04 = 2015

and so on ...

4- ToriOS 1.0 is based on 12.04 LTS - we have discussed that before but
didn't yet 100% agree on.
5- ToriOS 2.0 will be based on 14.04 LTS
+14.04, we will have to package a lot of stuff soon enough. 12.04 we have to
package a lot more.

Sorry, what do you mean? didn't get it :(

6- nm-manager should not be used as far as I have read so far from
different people all of them confirmed the big RAM eater is nm-manager.
We can make autostart of NetworkManager optional, I think. Most machines we
target shouldn't have Wifi, so everything is okay.

You're mistaken ;)
What happened to the Wifi USB Adapters? :D

Also, see this:
https://t.co/6HBs946VK1

Do you have anything against over network managers?

9- 60MB or 50MB? don't want to kill ourselves but if we could do that,
why not? I guess you know what I'm talking about
The result of my testing iso was 70-80 MB, but with a file manager (SpaceFM),
nm-applet, xterm+htop. I'll try to replace SpaceFM with Rox, so we should be
at least under 70 MB. We will see what happens then.

And get rid of nm-applet, please :D
Let's see how much difference we shall gain ...

10- Have we thought about the ISO size? any idea how big will it be?
around 300MB? 400MB? less or more? AFAIK, it should never reach say
600MB, right?
Again, my testing iso as reference: it was ~500MB big, something like 3,5 GB
installed. But it was compressed with xz+bs=1M, that is a "slow" compression
with good compression ratio. Maybe it should fall back to the "normal"
compression, mainly because it's faster? But cd size would be the limit.

Yes, the CD Size is the maximum limit, that is for sure.
However, can we achieve something less? 300-500MB?

15- I know it is hard to tell at this point but any idea when ToriOS 1.0
will be available to download and use? I know I'm the one who should
announce that but if truth to be told, it is something that our devs
should advise for and we haven't yet done anything serious.
Too big ambitions, but the first point release of 14.04 would be nice.

24th of July?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule

Hmm, considering we have no real ISO to play with until now (27th of May), I don't think so. But I definitely want to release ToriOS this Summer or this year. I DO HOPE SO. We have waited a lot ...

16- Do we have a Github repo, so I can share the script that I used to create
the testing iso? It's based on a script from the Ubuntu GNOME-team, so no big
magic. But it's working fine.
Alex has created one, as far as I can remember ...

Thank you!
Thank you, too!

You welcome and thanks a lot for your reply :D

--

Best Regards,
http://irqlinux.blogspot.com