Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

On 05/22/2014 06:24 PM, Hylas De niall wrote:

Hello Hylas,

Count me in for graphics work if you need things like wallpapers etc. As i mentioned i'm not a coder or translator sadly.
As to the points raised above, i would say this (my preference)

If you're really interested with Artwork Stuff, then maybe it is a good idea to talk with Rafael Laguna. He is Lubuntu Artwork Team Leader and very good friend of myself and many other people here. He has done the Logo of ToriOS and I'm sure he will help with the rest of the stuff we need. So, I think he will be happy if he will team up with you :)

Base it on 14.04 - most folk, even on old machines would want the latest and greatest

Not really :)
These two is super hard to achieve. Old machine and have the latest? it's just an overkill. Yes, Lubuntu 14.04 is using the latest but Lubuntu is not for 'very' old machines. I have tested that so many times ... you need minimum 512MB if you wish to open YouTube, Facebook or Gmail. Your machine will have hard time with two open tabs. I've been 2 years testers for Lubuntu and I proved that many times :D it is not the system that has the problem, it is everything around us these days is resource hungry. They simply expect you to have the latest hardware ... they don't think about those poor guys with old machines.

I came up with the idea of ToriOS because I'm very interested to draw a smile on someone's face who has an old machine but about to trash it because there is no system that could make it useful again.

Yes, let's be realistic here. The real difference between ToriOS and Lubuntu is not that ToriOS will be a superman compared to Lubuntu. The real difference is ... while Lubuntu is eating around 100MB more or less from the RAM, we promise that ToriOS will eat much less. With this, the system will have more RAM for more running tasks. Here is the real difference between ToriOS and Lubuntu.

The other difference is ToriOS will always be LTS and should support Non-PAE CPUs.

One more difference. ToriOS will only have very few installed packages. It is for those who wish to build their own system as they like and for those with very old machines who only wants to do very few tasks.

YES to the 12 month release cycle.

Good, 3 votes so far ;)

Folk coming from XP would be shocked at the amt of reinstalls/system updates on Linux.

Somehow true considering the 6 months cycle but upgrading/updating GNU/Linux is so much different from updating/upgrading Microsoft Windows ;)

Suggest try as hard as possible to keep the iso 'CD-sized' for old machines.

Yes, 3 votes here too :D

Is Sourceforge still a good site to host it? I nderstand they're fine unless your file is 1gig and over.

Not sure. Never used it to host any ISO before.

I'd suggest just Alpha, Beta, RC and Release versioning.

Good :)
As I wrote on the previous email, I'm okay with that unless our developer(s) has/have different opinion!

I have been thinking about ToriOS identity (and snagged the 1920x1920 png final logo) and would like to suggest the use of the Japanese White-Eye songbird as a possible base for wallpaper designs (or even logo if the team decide to change the existing one).

It is too early to talk about the default wallpaper but if I have to state my opinion, I'd say the Logo of ToriOS in the middle and that is all. But we can include other Wallpapers for sure.

Also a couple of questions from me:
1) Is it still decided to use IceWM (if so i could look into how to theme it).

Nothing yet confirmed.

2) Are the colours used in the final logo final colours that i should use in any designs i do?

Are we talking about this?
http://torios.org/img/FinalLogo.svg

If yes, then these are the final and the official logo of ToriOS.

3) What is the typeface used in the logo?

Typeface? you mean the font name?

Cheers!

Thank you!