Re: [Important] ToriOS 32 vs ToriOS 64

On 08/12/2014 02:24 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> On 12/08/14 19:34, Ali Linx wrote:
>> Hi dear family,
>>
>> I was about to start a blueprint for this but I thought it is better
>> to bring it here first :)
>>
>> 1- Should we release two images for ToriOS? i386 and amd64? AKA 32bit
>> and 64bit?
>>
>> If the answer of #1 is YES then:
>>
>> 2- A side from the architecture differences, what else ToriOS 64bit
>> will be different than ToriOS 32bit?
>>
>> 3- I am thinking to make ToriOS 32bit as slim and minimal as possible
>> with only the very basic apps like File Manager, Browser, Synaptic,
>> Terminal, other very necessary packages and that is all. And, making
>> ToriOS 64: ToriOS 32 + More applications so users can have full
>> working desktop system.
>>
>> Now, here is a catch:
>>
>> If #3 will be agreed on and approved by everyone, you first need to
>> know that this is the opposite of ToriOS philosophy. If we go ahead
>> with #3 then we are simply creating another Lubuntu with different
>> applications. So, we must be very careful with this one - I do NOT
>> want to copy-paste from another system no matter what.
>>
>> 4- If 'torios-desktop' package (meta package) will be implemented
>> successfully then  any system based on Ubuntu can install that
>> package. So, do we need here two packages? one for 32bit and one for
>> 64bit? this is valid only of #3 is approved.
>>
>> 5- Are we going to make ToriOS available for everyone? or only those
>> with some skills and experience? if truth to be told, when I first
>> announced the idea of this project, I did not want ToriOS to be for
>> everyone to be honest. Why? because not everyone knows how to build
>> his/her own system by him/her self. However and by time, specially
>> when we built this team, I have asked to offer the best documentations
>> so we could help those with less experience to find out more and learn
>> more and be able to use ToriOS.
>>
>> 6- If we all agree on point #5, you need to know that we do NOT have
>> to release a 64bit version at all. However, if that would happen,
>> those with more than 4GB RAM will not consider ToriOS since it is
>> going to be only 32bit.
>>
>> 7- Since ToriOS is offering a support for Non-PAE machines by default,
>> I found #6 is very logical. But, yes .. there is always but ... again,
>> this mean less people to use ToriOS if desired.
>>

>> You see, everything is connected and inside a loop. If we drop this
>> then that will be affected, and so on.
>>
>> This is very tricky, no doubt about it.
>>
>> To make it even more confusing (sorry), we all know that ToriOS 1.0 is
>> based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and chances are so high that ToriOS 2.0 is
>> based on Ubuntu 14.04. That said, we don't really have to make 1.0 a
>> system for EVERY user. But then again, if we can, why not?
>>
>> In short, I do highly suggest these criteria:
>> KISS = Keep It Simple and Short
>> Balanced = try to have a balanced system that could draw a smile on
>> most faces.
> [...]
Hi Paul and all,

I think the main thing we should do, is make a
torios-core metapackage which installs jwm, and all the simple apps for
the basic use of a computer.  This way users that WANT to install
libreoffice instead of abiword, or use vlc instead of whatever... can
install everything they want and customize it fully.

However, people with old computers MAY NOT have GOOD internet to
download things when they want to.  They may need a 'fully functional'
computer from one download, and may not know much about ToriOS, other
than the fact that it can run on their hardware, when nothing else can
(mostly).

Since this is based on Ubuntu it will have the largest support from the
non-linux world (though rpm is fairly close as well), and there are
thousands of sites to help users with any number of issues.

We can also make a
torios-desktop package that installs all the extra stuff.  So, when you
are in a chroot (based on Ubuntu) you can add a PPA, and build your
image with just the torios-core.  Then you can go back into your chroot
install the desktop package and build a second image with not much extra
effort.

The 2 barriers I am facing are:
*1)* 12.04 does not want to build my package (I am working on this..
trying to find out what is different in cmake 2.8.7 versus 2.8.12)

*2)* OBI has to be run on a real computer with a USB to make the image
(though Nio has said it can run from a certain Virtual Machine program..
was it VMWare?)

I can build the 14.04 image within a few days, and release an ISO...
however the 12.04 image will take me a bit of time to pick through my
build logs, and read the 2.8.7 documentation to find out what is missing
(or what works differently).

P.S. anyone who has done this before and wants to help (or has never
done this and wants to help) e-mail me :)