Re: ToriOS Default Apps

Hi everyone,
(this thread is bottom posting... see below)
On 08/12/2014 01:04 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2014-08-12 03:55, dbyentzen@xxxxxxxxxx skrev:
>> Hi Ali et al, Thanks for the further refinement for your vision of
>> ToriOS. I do have a question. First though, I am totally happy with
>> the concept of giving the user a minimal, simple, fast, and small OS
>> and then letting them build it as they see fit. My question: Where
>> will the users look to for a repository of ToriOS compatible apps? Or
>> should it even be a community concern? Specifically, even for a 64
>> bit machine, FF is large, slow, and uses lots of memory. I believe
>> Qupzilla is a better fit for ToriOS( 64 or 32 bit). Qup is small,
>> fast, and has small memory usage than FF. Additionally, for a 32 bit
>> machine why not consider something like Links2 for a browser. It's a
>> text( CLI ) browser with limited graphical abilities. It entirely
>> conforms to the ToriOS vision. Just my thoughts Best David
> Hi everybody,
>
> Continuing this interesting discussion:
>
> 0. I think it is a good idea to deliver ToriOS as light as possible, but
> with easy options to build the system we want.
>
> 1. I prefer evince as pdf reader.
>
> 2. I think we should keep discussing the web browser. I think Midori is
> also a good alterntive (lighter than Firefox).
>
> Old lynx is a text alternative. I don't know Links2, is it better than lynx?
>
> 3. xterm is lighter than the lxterminal and gnome-terminal, and very
> flexible. If you call it with a couple of options from the menu, the
> font will be much bigger and nicer than the standard small font, for example
>
> xterm -fa default -fs 13 &
> xterm -fa default -fs 11 &
>
> Best regards
> Nio

I think we all agree with #0
Most of us probably use evince rather than anything else (though I also
use the firefox pdf reader)

#2 Midori may be good, but as I recall it never loaded near as quickly
as qupzilla has on my old harware.  I seem to recall that on my older
hardware Chromium took the longest to load (the first time), Firefox
second (I have lots of add-ons) Midori was nearly the same as a vanilla
FF, Dillo was a bit faster, and Qupzilla loaded in about half of the
time Chromium did.

Lynx is the only text web-browser I have used to any major extent, and
it works well.
But, honestly what 'average' user will be glad to have a terminal open
when they click on 'Web Browser' icon in their menu?  Now, Nio could
probably build a bash browser using dialog (can you integrate webkit
into dialog??)  but realistically we should focus on a browser a casual
user will use.
Qupzilla is in the 14.04 repositories.  And a PPA is available for 12.04.

xterm is what I had planned on using, there is no major difference
(well... no tabs :(  )
there is also roxterm  which is also light.