Re: Kernel

On 08/22/2014 11:16 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

>> I have been staring at CmakeLists trying to force Precise to FindFLTK so
>> my brain is a bit jelly right now :)
>>
>> I think the main issue is the PAE flag. I did mean the opposite.
>> Installing on non-pae for the older laptops that don't set the flag in
>> the processor.  Like 12.04 Lubuntu offering a non-pae installation option.
>>
>> Can this be done in OBI by using a pae kernel on a non pae?
>> as in, the very last section (C) on this page...
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE
> Yes, this was the fundament for my work with Lubuntu-fake-pae
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE
>
> The best alternative for 12.04 LTS is to deliver it with fake-PAE.
> Otherwise Pentium M and Celeron M will boot from grub, but not
> 'dist-upgrade' to new pae kernels. It is also possible to deliver it
> with an old non-pae kernel. Lubuntu and Xubuntu 12.04 came with non-pae
> kernels originally.
Ok, I understand you.
I think I need to find out exactly what Ali is intending for this release

>> So does the whole non-pae issue arise from a flag that a processor
>> doesn't set, even if it is PAE.
> Yes, almost. (There are also some rare CPUs with similar 'horsepower' as
> old Pentium M CPUs that are claimed to lack PAE capability, Transmeta
> Crusoe and some old Via processors.)
Ok, so we *may* need the older Kernel or Phill's
>> I am trying to understand whether or not we can install trusty on a
>> non-pae flag computer with a normal (in the repos) kernel, or whether we
>> need to use Precise to do precisely this :)
> Yes, if PAE capable but without PAE flag, you can use the boot option
> forcepae in Trusty. See
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/AdvancedMethods#Pentium_M_and_Celeron_M
>
>> OR, is it possible to use phillw's kernel and have it stay up-to-date in
>> trusty?  Or is it needed only for the Live image?
> It is possible to have Phill's non-pae kernel. I think he intended to
> keep it up to date, but you have to ask him directly how and for how
> long he manages to do that.
>
> The PAE live image can also boot with the boot option forcepae in
> Trusty, but not in Precise.

Ok, I will try to find out exactly what Ali intends, and then if we need
phillw's kernel we can go that route.
>> I hope I am more clear, but it is hard to mush my thoughts back together
>> :)  And I don't entirely understand the pae issue.
> Ask again, I'm glad to help you. I think I understand the PAE issue, but
> may not explain it well enough.
>
> (I think that the main problem is that the Ubuntu development team
> forgot about Pentium M and Celeron M, when they decided to skip the
> non-pae kernel. And when the decision was there nobody wanted to reverse
> it. I also think forcepae is a good work-around, and I would be happy,
> if it could be back-ported from Trusty to Precise, because some drivers
> for old hardware were dropped between Precise and Trusty.)

Are these drivers, simply kernel modules?
Couldn't we sudo modprobe whatever
or are they no longer available at all?

Thanks for the explanations :)