Re: RC1 of ToriOS Alpha

Hi All!
(inlines)
On 09/06/2014 07:50 AM, Jack T. wrote:
> On Sat, September 6, 2014 12:19 pm, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Den 2014-09-06 09:45, Jack T. skrev:
>>
>> Hi everybody, I'm testing ToriOS-alpha-rc1.iso in my IBM Thinkpad
>> with Pentium M. The live system installed nicely and runs well in the
>> desktop (with the non-pae kernel 3.2.0-68-generic) The network is OK,
>> not only the IP numbers, but also names are resolved now :-) And the
>> installer works / the tarball's name is still ball :-)
Yes, I will rename the tarball when I get a tarball of a more fixed and
current version of ToriOS

>> -o- The installation was good. We know that the installed system is
>> lagging behind, there are bugs to be squashed and features to be
>> tweaked, but it works. -o- A comment about style:
Yay!
>> The borders of the xterm windows are not different enough from the
>> background, it is hard to tell two overlapping windows apart.
Ok, I will look into this and change one or the other...  I suppose
changing the window border to match the Panel will be fine.
>> A general comment: Congratulations to good progress Israel :-) Best
>> regards Nio ps/ I tested the bleeding edge mkusb version 9.0 via sudo
>> add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/unstable sudo apt-get update sudo
>> apt-get install mkusb and it works (except that the font is bigger,
>> so the Welcome and Warning window must be made slightly wider).
The desktop file for mkusb comes from your ppa so when that is updated
and I build the iso (or update the current one) it will be updated to
whatever version you have that is current.
The same goes to the Numix theme, as well as my program.  I also have
JWM in a PPA, but I am not entirely sure that will need to be updated soon.

The installed system will also have those things as well, so this is how
we can ensure an up-to-date supported LTS system.

>> The desktop file is hardcoded in the live session, so you should
>> start the new one with rox /usr/share/applications/mkusb.desktop
>> otherwise the old desktop will be used. The shellscript mkusb 9.0
>> will run in both cases, but the console windows will be different.
>> This should be no problem in an installed system with a working
>> network, but I wanted to test it here to find out if the new version
>> of mkusb works with ToriOS. /ds
> Hi All,
>
> Finally got WiFi working inside VB on the installed system...
>
> I went into wicd manager preferences and changed the network interfaces
> names to 'wlan1' and 'eth1'...and bingo WiFi connected and tested using
> Midori...phew...
>
> JackT.

Awesome!  I will check that out Jack!  Thanks both of you for testing
this so thoroughly!

LOCALE update:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale
Languages are installed via language-pack-*

So to change something you can run something like

update-locale LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=POSIX

So, I have begun working on a little script to do this, I haven't gotten
very far yet...
but I am going to use
VAR=$(locale -a)
CHOICE=$(zenity --list --title="Locale" --column="Choose" ${VAR})
and the use some thing like:
update-locale LANG=$VAR LC_CTYPE="$VAR" LC_NUMERIC="$VAR" LC_TIME="$VAR"
LC_COLLATE="$VAR" LC_MONETARY="$VAR" LC_MESSAGES="$VAR" LC_PAPER="$VAR"
LC_NAME="$VAR" LC_ADDRESS="$VAR" LC_TELEPHONE="$VAR"
LC_MEASUREMENT="$VAR" LC_IDENTIFICATION="$VAR"

I'll need to also figure out how to list other locales that aren't
installed, and allow them to be installed...
Unless someone knows of any programs that do this?
It seems like someone else would have already done this.