Re: Alpha RC2 testing

Den 2014-09-14 06:23, Israel skrev:
> Hi all,
> I have made a new tarball and tested it in the ISO.
>
> So far I have been able to shutdown effectively.
> As Nio and Jack noted, in a VM for some reason internet is hard to
> use... it is eth1, rather than eth0.
> Not sure why this happens, or causes problems....  The installed system
> on real hardware has worked for me.  I will put this out when I test it
> a bit more (like installing it to a real computer to make sure things go
> as I expect)
>
> This will probably be the last RC for Alpha before we move on to Beta
> testing.
> I'd like for Ali to weigh in on this sometime soon, but I know he said
> he'd be away for about a month.
>
> I'd also like to find out what everyone thinks as far as the system
> is.... we need to track down "all" minor and major issues before the
> final release.
> Also I added the usbmount program to the Live image so you can mount USB
> devices external to the running OS.  There is no option to automount the
> /dev/cdrom or dvd drives... but this is to be expected and AFAIK Paul is
> going to make mention of this in the Manual.
>
> I'd also like to put it in the release notes, as the base OS has very
> minimal functions.  Of course it should be possible to install
> pcmanfm/thunar/nautilus/etc and get all that functionality... the places
> menu should also still work since it uses xdg-open.... it works on my
> non-toriOS system using jwm... so I figure this will be a good
> functional baseline system with no frills.
>
> Thanks everyone!

Hi Israel, Jack and all other toriosadores,

* New tarball *

It is nice to read about the new tarball. The next iso to download is
coming closer :-)

* Internet connection *

If the network will not find eth1 automatically, it is important that
the manual steps are explained well in a text, that is found by a new
user, maybe via a pop-up message, if the internet is not automatically
connected.

* Automounting *

It is important that the manual steps are explained well in a text, how
to install a program with standard automounting facilities, like
pcmanfm/thunar/nautilus. Alongside that, I suggest that we recommend the
installation of a '*ubuntu-restricted-extras' metapackage for codecs,
DVD, flashplugin etc.