Re: Testing PC

Den 2014-09-21 05:12, Israel skrev:
> Hey everyone,
> Just to let you know I got a really old computer that has a PAE flag.
> Most people wouldn't be as excited as I am :)
> I tested it out with Precise Puppy, since I already had a CD burned, so
> I am sure it should work just fine :)
> I am going to burn the current ToriOS Alpha (that I made today) on it
> and see how everything goes using a real computer, with realistic hardware.
>
> This will be a good step toward the Beta, as I know have real hardware
> to test, and see if it works on our intended target.
>
> One of my customers has a PC repair shop, and he gave me the PC for very
> little money.  So I brought it home with hopes of trying this out this
> weekend.
> I will keep you updated and let you know what I find out :)

What computer is it? Please specify that old computer!

- Brand name and model
- CPU
- RAM (size)
- graphics chip/card
- wifi chip/card

My oldest computer was given to me instead of scrapping. It is a Compaq
Presario 5640 with a Pentium II at 400 MHz and came with Window 98. It
had 64 MG RAM, and I was able to find compatible memory cards to make it
192 MB RAM.

It does not boot natively from USB, but chainloads nicely via Plop. I
can install systems via the OBI into it at 128 MB RAM. And it works with
the OBI-9w, so it should work with ToriOS.

That old Compaq can run light Ubuntu 12.04 LTS flavours and re-spins. It
can even run Precise Gnome Classic Tweak by kansasnoob

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks

from the tarballs

GnomeClassic1204-oem.tar.xz   # in OEM mode, password: changeme
GnomeClassic1204.tar.xz

found via

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI

That computer has problems with newer versions of Ubuntu (read '14.04
LTS', (but I have not tried 14.04.1)).