Re: Testing PC IT IS AWESOME!!!!

Hi everyone, this is soooooo amazing :)
I am so excited, because this works!!
The real old school computer htop is reporting *61*MB right now :)
This is just the liveCD version, but I am extremely excited about how
amazing this is!!

I also added links2 into the mix, because I thought we should offer the
low-end browser for limited bandwidth and memory, and offer
the light, and full internet suite seamonkey for the modern usable
browsing experience.

I got rid of Midori, because it is terrible if you have a small screen.
The address bar disappears :(
So Seamonkey is the natural choice, because Dillo is even worse for
modern web.
It loads a bit slow, but i think will be a good middle ground.  It also
brings an e-mail program and an irc program.

(more inline)

On 09/20/2014 11:24 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2014-09-21 05:12, Israel skrev:
>> Hey everyone,
>> Just to let you know I got a really old computer that has a PAE flag.
>> Most people wouldn't be as excited as I am :)
>> I tested it out with Precise Puppy, since I already had a CD burned, so
>> I am sure it should work just fine :)
>> I am going to burn the current ToriOS Alpha (that I made today) on it
>> and see how everything goes using a real computer, with realistic hardware.
>>
>> This will be a good step toward the Beta, as I know have real hardware
>> to test, and see if it works on our intended target.
>>
>> One of my customers has a PC repair shop, and he gave me the PC for very
>> little money.  So I brought it home with hopes of trying this out this
>> weekend.
>> I will keep you updated and let you know what I find out :)
>>
> What computer is it? Please specify that old computer!
>
> - Brand name and model
> - CPU
> - RAM (size)
> - graphics chip/card
> - wifi chip/card
@Nio
sorry I keep meaning to get all the computer info... but I don't.
>From what I remember
it has an AMD Duron chip, and the PAE flag was present when I did the
initial DMI decode
Not sure how 'fast' it is, though.
No Wifi, though I have a little USB wifi card... it only has 2 usb 2.0
ports so I will be mainly using it plugged into the ethernet until I can
find
an old keyboard.
The RAM is something like 452MB or so, I can't remember... which I plan
on testing with less memory (one 128 stick)
It is a Compaq, but I don't know the brand... it originally came with
Windows ME... but had XP on it when I plugged it in.

> My oldest computer was given to me instead of scrapping. It is a Compaq
> Presario 5640 with a Pentium II at 400 MHz and came with Window 98. It
> had 64 MG RAM, and I was able to find compatible memory cards to make it
> 192 MB RAM.
>
> It does not boot natively from USB, but chainloads nicely via Plop. I
> can install systems via the OBI into it at 128 MB RAM. And it works with
> the OBI-9w, so it should work with ToriOS.
Usually if it wont boot from USB I install any form of Linux on it, and
then boot my usb from GRUB
i.e. in command mode (pressing c)
where (hd1,msdos1) can be found using <TAB> using whatever the real one is
set root=(hd1,msdos1)
linux /live/vmlinuz boot=live
initrd /live/initrd.lz
boot

> That old Compaq can run light Ubuntu 12.04 LTS flavours and re-spins. It
> can even run Precise Gnome Classic Tweak by kansasnoob
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks
>
> from the tarballs
>
> GnomeClassic1204-oem.tar.xz   # in OEM mode, password: changeme
> GnomeClassic1204.tar.xz
>
> found via
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI
>
> That computer has problems with newer versions of Ubuntu (read '14.04
> LTS', (but I have not tried 14.04.1)).
>
> Best regards
> Nio

OBI worked pretty well.  I had initially partitioned the disk oddly in
Puppy, with hopes of installing puppy first so that I could install GRUB.
I did not make the first partition have to boot flag, so when I
installed OBI died when installing GRUB.
I rebooted and partitioned it normally where the first partition had the
bootable flag.
This may be a bug with OBI.... So you might check into it Nio.

The base system is not up to date with the real ToriOS, yet... so I need
to 'remake' it.
I'll be tweaking some things and testing with different amounts of
Memory to see how well the live CD performs on lower memory.
I'll also tweak the installed system and look for an old (non USB)
keyboard or mouse so I can test out Wifi from a USB dongle.

First impressions, this is great!  OBI installs pretty fast (compared to
Ubiquity)!  I am pretty excited about this!!