Re: deboostrap install [update]

Hi Nio
(inline replies)
On 09/22/2014 03:04 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi Israel,
> [replying inline]
> Best regards
> Nio
>
> Den 2014-09-21 23:32, Israel skrev:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I found a page that confirms my suspicions about using deboostrap/chroot
>> to install on hardware.
>> It basically uses the same principles as the script I am using to build
>> the OS.  Though I was actually searching for something else :)
> This is very good news :-)
I agree!!
>> http://www.debian-administration.org/article/426/Installing_new_Debian_systems_with_debootstrap
>>
>> So... I think it would be very possible to use the current script (with
>> modifications of course) to setup a NEW computer.
>> I think we can write a very simple UI using dialog/zenity and simply
>> 'copy' the current OS' packages over (minus a few ones we wont need,
>> such as nodm and live-boot)
>> and simply chroot into the hardware we are installing on after running a
>> quick partition program. based on a couple of choices.
>> Like:
>>
>> 1. *Erase EVERYTHING* and install ToriOS ONLY
>> 2. Install alongside ${DETECTED_OS}
>> 3. Manual partition and install
> Ubuntu has big problems with several users every week destroying
> valuable (and not backed up data plus Windows) because the 'Install
> alongside' option does not work properly. Sometimes it does not
> recognize Windows, and in such cases it erases everything without
> telling the poor user. So I warn you, do not port such a feature to
> ToriOS !!!
>
> Manual partitioning is much safer, but there should be a strong warning
> (that must be seen and checked), that things can go wrong, and a fresh
> backup of everything is important.
I used the install alongside option a few times in the past without any
trouble,
but if there have been those kinds of issues, I would rather not include
that option either.

I would like to include a basic informative page on which partitions to
make and what size.
Nio, do you know a quick command to get the total available memory on a
system (RAM)
so calculate the SWAP size for the user?  If not I can go looking around.
But I'd like to have something like:

/You need at least 2 total partitions://
/// root//
/// swap (double your system memory size)//
//
//Another common option is to have 3 partitions://
/// root (around 15-20 Gig)//
///home (everything else minus the swap)//
///swap//(double your system memory size)//
//
//There are other configurations available, but those require
familiarity with GNU/Linux.//
/
And then have a link to a good Wiki page at Ubuntu.

>> So this is definitely something I will be looking into, especially now
>> that I have some hardware to install ToriOS on in every single way I can
>> think to try.
>> I can safely do crazy things to it, because well... that is its only
>> purpose (for now).
>>
>> Since I am currently adding a lot of error checking, and cleaning up the
>> process for building the ISO I will be putting the code on github soon.
>> I think it would be a wise decision to make a ToriOS github page, so we
>> can host everything related to ToriOS there... or at least link to it.
>>
>> I will be putting the script for ToriOS on GitHub soon, well... when I
>> am satisfied with the quality of it for others to use.
>> @Nio
>> Do you mind if I include the 9w directory with it, since the script uses it?
> It is free and open source software, so you are welcome to upload it :-D
Thank you I will do this!  I just like to ask, because that is the nice