Re: [Feedback] ToriOS 25102014 build - Installed System

Hi,
[replying inline]

Den 2014-11-09 07:02, Ali Linx skrev:
> Hi all,
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfc64j7wy2ygow0/ToriOS-alpha.iso?dl=0
> MD5SUM: 8c525b2d5fa7972e1dfbd4541c0f2fbe
>
> This Feedback is about running an installed ToriOS on an Oracle VB.
>
> 1- Installation was successful and it seems OBI can now handle manual
> installations so I guess it can handle a dual-boot systems - Nio, please
> correct me if I am wrong.

Yes the OBI can handle dual-boot and multi-boot systems. You are
recommended to edit the partitions with gparted before running the OBI
at the advanced level, or re-use some partition, that already exists.

> 2- The biggest problem that I see in OBI is: there is no way - unless I
> am blind - to create a user name that I could use later after the
> installation is done. Please correct me, Nio :)

The OBI does not create user names. But there is a way: If the tarball
was made from an OEM installation, you will be prompted to create a user
name, user ID and computer name, when the installed system is started
(when you boot into it the first time). I know Israel is aware of this
option, but he has focused on other tasks so far.

There are several such OEM tarballs available for the standard OBI system at

http://phillw.net/isos/one-button-installer/

See also

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI

Another way is to create a new user (when running the installed system),
but I recommend using the OEM method, unless it would use too much disk
space and make the iso file oversized (for CD).

> 3- Because of #2, Logging in with "torios" password is not convenient at
> all but hey, we are testing the alpha so it is not the end of the world.

:-)

> 9- Synaptic does not work from the menu but it does work from Terminal:
> Menu > System > XTerm > gksudo synaptic > torios as password > done.
> Because I have no internet, I couldn't install anything.

So the ability is there in the installed system :-)

> 11- ToriOS has a serious problem - IMHO - that there is only one user
> name, that is torios with the same password and we can't add any other
> user "after" installing the system using any GUI tool. This is IMHO a
> problem unless we explain to our users howto do that using the terminal.
> Even myself can't remember the commands. I need to google that. If I am
> new to Linux, I will find this very hard. It depends what kind of users
> we are targeting.

If it does not add too much to the size, an existing GUI can be added.
Otherwise maybe an instruction or a very simple script using zenity
might help adding another user.