Re: [Feedback] ToriOS 25102014 build - LiveCD

Den 2014-11-09 02:09, Ali Linx skrev:

> Hi everyone,
>
> On 11/03/2014 12:24 AM, Israel wrote:
>> On 11/02/2014 01:47 AM, Ali Linx wrote:

>>> (9) I can't install any application from terminal: I always get:
>>>
>>> Reading package lists ... error!
>>> E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
>>> E: Can't mmap any empty file
>>> E: Failed to truncate file - ftruncate (9: Bad file descriptor)
>>> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>>>
>>> Yes, this is from the LiveCD.
>>>
>> CD = read ONLY :)  you cannot install to a CD... sorry

Hi Ali and Israel,

Many live systems allow temporary installations (including Lubuntu).

What I mean is that you can install using apt-get install, synaptic ...
and install into the live system and test that the program in the
installed package works. It will be installed into the live system, only
stored in RAM (or swap), so it will be lost at shutdown and reboot. If
the live system has persistence (for example with a casper-rw file) the
installation will survive (alias be persistent).

I would think also ToriOS could allow temporary installations into the
live system, at least if there is enough memory. With very small RAM
there might be problems. If the swap works correctly, it might work but
very slowly ...

But the package management adds to the size of the iso file.

@ Israel,

Have you skipped the package management in order to save space on the
iso file to keep it within CD size? Or did you simply inherit the
selection of packages from 9w (and then add some packages, but not those
for package management?

I don't remember without checking. Do you remember, or do you want me to
check it?