Re: networking

On 14/11/14 22:04, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2014-11-14 22:58, Israel skrev:
>> Hi Paul, It is not advised to manually edit
>> /etc/network/interfaces It should look as you have shown. If you
>> add things to that file, generally it will take about 60 seconds
>> longer to boot as it "tries to configure the network"  You will
>> get a message about this on the splash screen.  It is quite
>> annoying :)
>>
>> Of course if you are doing extremely complex networking you can
>> do it that way. Generally though you should simply launch wicd
>> (hit the networking icon in the tray) and configure it there.  If
>> you cannot connect via the default eth0 wlan0 you can change it.
>>
>> If you want ethernet you can check which one you are using via
>> the terminal ifconfig |grep eth or for wireless ifconfig |grep
>> wlanifconfig |grep eth
>>
>> If it says eth1  change wicd to use eth1, etc..
>>
>> Of course you can also install network manager. If you remove
>> wicd this will work... they CANNOT run together very well.
>>
>> after installing network manager you can open the Panel Settings
>> (my program) and disable the network indicator and click OK. Then
>> open it again and re-enable it. If I remember right I set it to
>> prefer network-manager over wicd. Basically the program checks to
>> see if you have wicd or network manager installed... and if you
>> do it will add it to the autostart.
>>
>> Actually... this might be good to put in the manual :)
>>

> +1
>
> Best regards Nio

I can certainly add a networking section to the manual,  BUT I am
going to need a lot of help to explain stuff, properly,

Maybe when the screenshot bugs are fixed ( if they are now I will
update)  then it will make life easier when taking more than 1 screen
shot.

If there is a meeting tomorrow, then we can discuss then perhaps

Paul

- --

http://www.zleap.net
@zleap14  diaspora : zleap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx