Re: networking

Hi Paul,
I will try to fix the screenshot bug tonight... then you can simply sudo
apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade.

Also Ali suggested filing bugs for issues... I think this is a good idea
so I can keep track of things.
You can simply file a bug on the ToriOS page, I am fairly certain I will
be notified by all bugs... but I will double check to make sure this is
the case.

Everything will be easier to update once I build the torios-meta
package...  I have most of the initial framework in place... though I
have never built one of those kinds of packages, so it may be a while
before I figure it all out :)
And then of course it will be implemented in the ISO.  I think that will
be the big 'next step' before we go to Beta.

On 11/14/2014 04:12 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 14/11/14 22:04, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> > Den 2014-11-14 22:58, Israel skrev:
> >> Hi Paul, It is not advised to manually edit
> >> /etc/network/interfaces It should look as you have shown. If you
> >> add things to that file, generally it will take about 60 seconds
> >> longer to boot as it "tries to configure the network"  You will
> >> get a message about this on the splash screen.  It is quite
> >> annoying :)
> >>
> >> Of course if you are doing extremely complex networking you can
> >> do it that way. Generally though you should simply launch wicd
> >> (hit the networking icon in the tray) and configure it there.  If
> >> you cannot connect via the default eth0 wlan0 you can change it.
> >>
> >> If you want ethernet you can check which one you are using via
> >> the terminal ifconfig |grep eth or for wireless ifconfig |grep
> >> wlanifconfig |grep eth
> >>
> >> If it says eth1  change wicd to use eth1, etc..
> >>
> >> Of course you can also install network manager. If you remove
> >> wicd this will work... they CANNOT run together very well.
> >>
> >> after installing network manager you can open the Panel Settings
> >> (my program) and disable the network indicator and click OK. Then
> >> open it again and re-enable it. If I remember right I set it to
> >> prefer network-manager over wicd. Basically the program checks to
> >> see if you have wicd or network manager installed... and if you
> >> do it will add it to the autostart.
> >>
> >> Actually... this might be good to put in the manual :)
> >>

> > +1
>
> > Best regards Nio
>
> I can certainly add a networking section to the manual,  BUT I am
> going to need a lot of help to explain stuff, properly,
>
> Maybe when the screenshot bugs are fixed ( if they are now I will
> update)  then it will make life easier when taking more than 1 screen
> shot.
>
> If there is a meeting tomorrow, then we can discuss then perhaps
>

> Paul

-Israel
ToriOS Team