Re: Trial Test

On 01/02/15 00:41, Sam Klein wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I wrote for the Ubuntu Manual team, among others. If you're
> familiar with their work, I would appreciate if Tori OS followed
> their example. I found their organization and approach most
> initiative.

I fully agree with this, the manual has now become rather large as a
project and splitting it in to 3 may have solved one or two problems
but has probably created more.

> In technical writing, while giving critique, it is best practice to
> have a paper copy and write in comments;

Yeah I do this, make notes etc and then make changes to the source
and another advantage with smaller manuals is less paper being used

 however, since this is online
> project, it is not possible. How would you like to receive your
> feedback, so I know how I can effectively communicate with you (so
> I don't spend too much time fruitlessly pointing material out).

Sounds good or we could find a way so that we co-ordinate our efforts
and you can make direct changes to the document, it is plain text and
latex markup then upload to git hub.  Or once the wiki is up we use
that and I copy the content in to the pdf source.

> At my disposal, I can print out the manual, write on it, and then
> send it over as a PDF. Would this work for you?

Sounds good,   however I agree that we need to look more like the
ubuntu manual,  this also gives a degree of conformity.

Is there a template we can use for this. ?

> Thanks,
>
> Sam Klein

I have cc'd this to the main list, so that we can share these ideas
with others.

1.  Is there a way to take the work so far and get this more organised
so that the whole thing is easier to maintain.  ?  Even if this is to
create manual v2, so that v2 looks far far better and keep v1 as is,
so that it at least gets the info across,  but a note to say layout
issues acknowledged and v2 of the manual will look vastly different.

2. What are the ubuntu team using for the manual, i Know it was latex
but any specific packages.

3. We have one or two other members, of the docs team would it be a
good idea to perhaps set up a torios-docs list so we can join that and
maybe bring otehrs in to get the whole manual looking more
professional (I like the margin notes)

4. There was talk of putting the manual on the toriOS git hub
repository,  this is fine as a collaborator I should be able to push.
pull and clone as my current user id for git,  I just delete the
manual from my own github and use the toriOS one

5. In light of the above would it therefore be useful to have 1 or
more git hub repositories for different manuals e.g

General manual
install manual
testing manual
wiki / htmi manual resources
maybe one for just the screenshots this can be cloned and copied where
it needs to be in relation to the varuous other manuals source code.
as Latex needs to be told where teh graphics files are or it throws a
wobbly and won't compile.

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:zleap@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Hi Sam
>
>> 4. Manual has too many blank spaces, making it difficult to
>> read.
>
> Can you be more specific in what you mean by this please.  You
> can't have a manual where everything is squashed together.
>
>> 5. Manual could use a lot of editing and revision, along with
>> fewer emoticons. ;)
>
> In what way,  I am not using emoticons
>
>> 6. Time is wrong. How do I change this?
>
> Should be using ntp (network time protocol) so it should grab the
> right time from the internet
>
>> 7. Manual needs to be updated and organized.
>
> Again please be more specific.
>
> I am working on the manual, it is work in progress.  I am in fact
> splitting the manual up in to 3
>
> user manual install manual testing manual
>
> That way each can concentrate on specific areas.
>
> Not sure what you mean by fewer emoticons, I am not using any.
>
> I am using LaTeX for the manual as it is easier, It is also what
> the Ubuntu manual team are using.
>
> I can only work with what I have,
>
> I am NOT even going to consider using Libreoffice for this
>
> hope this helps,
>
> regards
>
> Paul
>
>> Warmest regards, Sam Klein