Re: ToriOS (beta) tarball with 3 kernels

Hi Nio,
You might as well add in a 64bit version as well, if you have time.

Can we populate the list of tarballs available easily from OBI?
I have not tested dltbl yet (so excuse my ignorance on this), too many
other things to code :P

It would be nice to offer the ability to install for any version if we
could.  I might also build a PPC tarball to host when I get time, though
I am going to wait until I have the settings manager at version 1.0.0,
as building it takes a lot of time, and I am not entirely sure I can
build an ISO for PPC... I have had a lot of issues trying this in the
past on PPC.  I also want to wait until 2.3.0 is released to build it on
PPC.

It would be nice to eventually set up our own repository somewhere so we
could even make a Debian based version (for use on Raspberry Pi).  But
that is something I do not know anything about doing :)

On 03/27/2015 07:24 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi toriosadores,
>
> I made and uploaded a tarball with 3 kernels
>
> 3.2 generic (non-pae)
> 3.2 generic-pae
> 3.13 generic (pae)
>
> http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/OBI/precise/tarballs/ToriOS_3kernels_use-by-OBI-in-precise.tar.xz
>
> My IBM Thinkpad T42 with a Pentium M processor has PAE capability but
> lacks PAE flag. All 3 kernels work in a system installed from that
> tarball works in this computer. I have installed fake-pae into the
> tarball, which makes it work.
>
> Different computers might work best with different kernels:
>
> 1. Very old computers - the non-pae kernel
>
> 2. Computers with more than 2 GB RAM - the pae kernels
>
> 3. Old computers, e.g. old graphics and wifi - the 3.2 kernels
>
> 4. Middle-aged and new computers/hardware - the 3.13 kernel
>
> Select kernel from the boot menu
>
> - the 3.2 kernels via 'Previous Linux versions'
>
> Best regards
> Nio

-Israel
ToriOS Team