Re: ToriOS (beta) tarball with 3 kernels

Den 2015-03-27 13:24, Nio Wiklund skrev:
> Hi toriosadores,
>
> I made and uploaded a tarball with 3 kernels
>
> 3.2 generic (non-pae)
> 3.2 generic-pae
> 3.13 generic (pae)
>
> http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/OBI/precise/tarballs/ToriOS_3kernels_use-by-OBI-in-precise.tar.xz
>
> My IBM Thinkpad T42 with a Pentium M processor has PAE capability but
> lacks PAE flag. All 3 kernels work in a system installed from that
> tarball works in this computer. I have installed fake-pae into the
> tarball, which makes it work.
>
> Different computers might work best with different kernels:
>
> 1. Very old computers - the non-pae kernel
>
> 2. Computers with more than 2 GB RAM - the pae kernels
>
> 3. Old computers, e.g. old graphics and wifi - the 3.2 kernels
>
> 4. Middle-aged and new computers/hardware - the 3.13 kernel
>
> Select kernel from the boot menu
>
> - the 3.2 kernels via 'Previous Linux versions'
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi again,

I made a new tarball, where I added the kernels and made it boot to the
grub menu. This new system works well, when installed by ToriOS live
(but not by 'my OBI'). It is uploaded to phillw.net, and can be
downloaded and selected in ToriOS live. The link should be one line,

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/OBI/precise/tarballs/ToriOS_3-kernels_01_use-by-ToriOS-live.tar.xz

$ ls -l ToriOS_3-kernels_01_use-by-ToriOS-live.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 nio nio 430014032 mar 27 19:37
ToriOS_3-kernels_01_use-by-ToriOS-live.tar.xz

$ md5sum ToriOS_3-kernels_01_use-by-ToriOS-live.tar.xz
81b841b0612f4298b3652437bfa85757
ToriOS_3-kernels_01_use-by-ToriOS-live.tar.xz

I have also changed 'dltbl', so that it will not confuse end users. It
should come with the next version of the ToriOS live system (the iso
file). As it is now, an error output after a failed attempt to move the
tarball should be interpreted like this:

"Could not write to /tarballs, which is normal in a live session.
'Select tarball' can still find the tarball automatically."

See the following screenshots

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/torios/pictures/19-download-tarball.png

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/torios/pictures/20-select-tarball.png

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/torios/pictures/21-partition-drives-and-install-Torios_3-kernels.png