Re: New ISO Oct 8

Den 2015-10-08 kl. 14:59, skrev Israel:
> Hey everyone,
> please test the new ISO, and zsync to get it!

Hi Israel,

I'm testing the current ToriOS daily ISO.

*Live*

1. ToriOS manual desktop icon:

'Incompatible Add-ons'

GNOMErunnier/GTK Revived (Freedesktop) 0.3.4 (is not compatible)

Seamonkey finds/wants 0.3.6

2. OBI with zenity

You have spent a lot of time to convert the dialog menus to zenity menus :-)

Of course it is an improvement, but there are a few items to discuss,
some of them very important.

a. I think it is not really worthwhile to keep the second desktop icon
and the option 'Install to disk FULL...'.

b. Some menus that are made for fixed line breaks are too narrow, so
they look ugly, and some menus need monospace font (like courier or
ubuntu mono) to look good.

- the 'Tips' menu should be wider (use --width= or remove the fixed line
breaks)

- the 'Help to partition' screen (use --width= or remove the fixed line
breaks)

- the 'Help to select device' menu should use monospace font, which
works in --text-info windows if you add the --html option and some html
or pango markup for that purpose. (You can see how I did it in the
corresponding menu in mkusb.)

- I think the work flow is inconvenient via 'Partition drives and
install alongside current OS': You force people to use gparted. What if
they want to reuse partitions like I often do? You should allow them to
select partitions manually (like what it used to be in the dialog version).

- Furthermore, there I see no feedback, that the correct partitions are
actually selected for the root partition and swap partition.

At what I think is the final warning, there is no information about the
target directories, only 'Are you sure you want to proceed?'. And it is
too narrow (the whole header is not shown). Use --width=

- The menu 'Select partition using this key: root' is too narrow (hides
the important column MOUNTPOINT). Use --width=

*Installing*

- Furthermore, it seems not working (at least there is only feedback
during a few seconds about the target partitions). This cannot be
released. I think the dialog menu is much safer to use.

- The 'Overview' window is too narrow and is almost impossible to read.

- Finally I tried with a target pendrive, that could be damaged. It did
not work at the advanced OBI level to install into partitions made and
marked with gparted. The computer boots into the previous system.

The target drive has a GPT, and I have installed ToriOS at the advanced
OBI level to a drive with GPT before, but it does not work now. The
system seems installed into the correct target partition, and the swap
partition seems correct, but the bootloader was not installed correctly
(probably not at all), the old bootloader survived.

- I also tried to install at the basic OBI level (and overwrite the
target drive). In this case an appropriate final warning was displayed.
There is no progress indication, only the pulsating display while the
tarball is extracted. There is a complaint during a few seconds (no
chance to write it down). Anyway, this works :-) After reboot there is
an installed ToriOS system.

*Final words*

Sorry that I am so negative, but I think we should release ToriOS with
the dialog menus for the OBI. After the release we have time to tweak
these new zenity menus until they feel safe and look good and can
install a dual boot or multi boot system. I cannot do it in a short
time, and we need several people testing it to detect bugs.

There is a lot of work (programming and testing) until I would feel
ready to release an official version with zenity menus for the
OBI-installer in ToriOS.