[!] ToriOS Development [!] (was: Re: The History of ToriOS Websites)

Hi all,

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Israel <israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [snip]
>

>   I have been extremely busy recently, and have not had the time to do
> much.

That's called real life and we all understand that so no worries :)
As I always keep reminding myself and everyone within every project I'm
part if: it's a community project and one should not do the entire thing
all by him/her self.

> I have been working on rebasing for trusty,

My dear brother, I'm super confused and puzzled here!

Why exactly are we working on Trusty and we have NOT YET released 1.0 that
is based on 12.04.5?

May I remind you that we have until April 2017:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Until 12.04.5 be 100% out of the game?!

May I also remind everyone that we've been working for so long but we
haven't yet actually released 1.0 ?!

The website issue should NOT affect the release of 1.0 :)

> the main issue I face
> there is the increased size of the dependencies.  Many things now
> require things we do not use/want/need, such as NetworkManager.  This
> requires a lot more dependencies (initial systemd stuff that was
> introduced in 14.04)  It will take a while to get a decent sized CD out
> of this, as OBI requires a tarball... perhaps we could offer a separate
> solution where we have a CD image that requires a separate download of
> the tarball... though I will continue to look through things and see
> where I can cut corners (in size not quality of course).
> The best I have gotten so far is around 800MiB  This is too much for a
> CD, and does not include Seamonkey in any form (live or installed).  I
> might be able to shirnk it more (removing things like synaptic?
> possibly using my battery monitor (very small gtk program) instead of
> the XFCE power manager)
> I still need to test things more but the space issue is the largest.  We
> fixed nearly everything with OBI in our previous testing and have made
> it much more robust.
> I do wish there was a smaller network manager that did not require all
> the gnome stuff, and worked as well (including native icon theme
> support), but I haven't found one yet.

I am NOT going to discuss nor reply anything from the above until we finish
1.0. This is way too early to spend time on. Note that I didn't say "waste
time", I said "spend time".

We should "invest" our time into one and only target: releasing 1.0 :)

I am sure I have made this clear so many times already.