Re: ToriOS update

Den 2016-01-08 kl. 00:14, skrev Israel:

> 1) Ubuntu IP
>
> [ there might be a few in here if we need to rebase on Debian or Arch or
> LFS :P ]
> Since Ali is an Ubuntu member I am sure he can chat with whomever would
> be able to find out the answer to our situation here....

I think Ali would have a fair chance to succeed that way. But only he
can decide, if he wants to ask.

(As 'staff emeritus' at the Ubuntu Forums, I am also an Ubuntu member,
and could ask, but I don't know any person at Canonical in charge of
legal issues. I don't think being an Ubuntu member makes much difference
in this case.)

> 2) ISO
>
> Should we use Precise?  April is VERY soon.  Maybe we should rebase on
> something else that supports PAE flag?  And will not go out so soon?

Hi Israel,

Precise end of life is April 2017, there are 15 months to go, but it is
shrinking rapidly.

Some old hardware will be excluded in Trusty, because of the drivers (I
think the main problem would be drivers for old graphics chips.)

We could at least consider rebasing. I had expected that it would be a
lot of work to get everything working as well as it is working now with
Precise, but only you know.

-o-

Can you think of ToriOS not delivered as an iso file, but as scripts
plus a manual?

The manual would describe how to install a basic text only system from
an Ubuntu mini.iso or Ubuntu Server iso file, and in that system install
a few PPAs and then create ToriOS. Not difficult for people who have
used linux before, or can follow a manual step by step :-)

This would be 'tweaking Ubuntu' according to a community wiki page and I
cannot see that it would be in conflict with Ubuntu's (Canonical's)
terms of use, intellectual property statements etc.

I'm sure ToriOS will be available to more people, particularly beginners
(who come from Windows), when delivered as an iso file or as a tarball,
or as a compressed image file, but all these are subject to Ubuntu's
terms of use as it is now, when we use compiled code from Ubuntu's
repositories.