Re: I am speechless!

On 02/25/2016 11:27 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2016-02-26 kl. 04:11, skrev Israel:
>> On 02/25/2016 04:54 PM, Ali/amjjawad wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The true meaning of: an image worth 1000 words :D
>>>
>>> --
>>> Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>>>
>> Great news!
>> That said, I think we should continue developing the Debian version, as
>> it has more updated software and supports older processors for longer :)
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>

> Hi Ali and Israel,
>
> Great news that we can base ToriOS on Ubuntu, Ali :-)
>
> I think we should ask all Toriosadores, which version (based on Ubuntu
> or based on Debian) they prefer, and why they prefer it. That way we
> should find out what is missing in either of the versions.
>
> Your view is very important Israel. As the main developer, your feeling
> of what works best is of course very important. But we should not judge
> Ubuntu only based on Precise. There is also Trusty, and very soon also
> Xenial will be released, and all of them have long time support (for 5
> years).
>
> Lubuntu Xenial works with the boot option forcepae in my old IBM
> Thinkpad with Pentium M without a PAE flag, so even if Ubuntu has
> abandoned the non-pae kernels, it can be used with almost all CPUs, that
> run today (including Pentium 3). What is also important is how the
> hardware drivers for old computers are available in Debian and Ubuntu,
> and I think the only way to find out is to ask people to test in old
> computers.
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi Nio,
Xenial and Debian are very similar in their underlying setup (using
systemd)  Xenial, however already has yad, but I have already added yad
into Debian with no noticable differences from xenial.

Personally since Debian has the i586 kernel (the same kernel we want in
precise with non pae support) I think it would be a better choice for
the initial release.  It will be supported much longer AFAIK than
precise and does most everything we already need.  I will need to
install a few more things by default (non free firmware for USB wifi
dongles, maybe others?) I discovered this with my RaLink Wifi usb
dongle. The package for it is quite small, so it is a small expense for
such a big benefit.  We will do all the configuring and setup to make
Debian 'Linux for Human Beings' as Ubuntu did.  We are kinda redoing the
initial Ubuntu project in a way.... more like 'Linux for Human Beings
that have old computers like me' :)

But so far my testing is that is performs much the same as precise did
on my P4.  Watching DVDs and streaming video is a bit hard with so
little memory in the computer, but it does work.  The 128MB computer
probably cannot do it, but I have not tested it quite yet.  Some things
seem to work better, but that could simply be that I have continued to
tweak and improve our programs.

I also need to install pm-utils for our suspend scripts, or maybe just
offer to install it.