Re: ToriOS and lightweight applications

Hi!
(inline replies)
On 06/10/2017 09:22 AM, ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I ran across a description of ToriOS during a search for something else.
> The description of the ToriOS distribution sounded really intriguing.
> Would like to find out more about it.  I'm currently running Debian on my
> desktop computer.  I'm very interested in lightweight applications that do
> one thing well.
This is absolutely great!
> I would love to compare notes on lightweight applications and to discuss
> finding or writing useful, well-written programs with others.  I build a
> lot of the programs I use from source.  I also patch Open Source programs
> to use later versions of libraries, fix various bugs and memory issues and
> add features I might need.  I typically try to send my patches back to the
> original developer of a program or library, but some projects are no
> longer active.  Would be nice to share customizations with other users.
Yes indeed, do you have a CVS you prefer?  We have stuff on both github
and launchpad.
I'mIsrael- <https://github.com/Israel-> on github
> The ToriOS web site mentioned you needed volunteers.  Would be curious to
> know if you need any help with C/C++ programming related issues.
Yes!!!  I would really like to have help fixing/ improving our programs.
In particular I would like to make fladduser use all system calls.
I had been trying to study and learn what all libraries control
users/groups.
it had been a front for running existing programs using a system() call,
which is not what I wanted, but
the only way I knew to quickly build a small user adding/management program.

You will need fluid to work on the project, it has FLTK ui (all our GUI
programs use is, very small, fast light)

There are other programs too, if you are really interested!
>   Also,
> would enjoy hearing from anyone who would like to discuss lightweight Open
> Source applications further.
Agreed!  I keep an eye out for similar things as well.
> Best of luck with the ToriOS project.

Thank you!