Re: Debian Stretch ToriOS

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Israel <israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,

Hi,

> I have begun work on updating the packaging to work with ToriOS on
> Debian Stretch.  Unfortunately PPAs are much harder to install, which is
> a downside, and the whole PAE thing with post precise Ubuntu is now the
> same with Stretch.

Why?

As per:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

Debian Jessie is supported until April 2020 which means 2 more years. That
said, if we must, ToriOS 2.0 will 'also' be based on Debian 8 (AKA Jessie).

So, problem solved!

We can worry about that with ToriOS 3.0, maybe?!

> This may mean we decide to move back to Ubuntu for future releases (when
> 18.04 comes out perhaps).

Ubuntu?
That's not going to help ToriOS nor its users - why?
Well, because:
https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-drops-32-bit-desktop/

And, as all of you may know, Ubuntu does not support NON-PAE any more.

However, we all know that sooner or later, NON-PAE CPU and even 32-bit CPU
will sooner or later be dead and not usable any more.

> Anyhow, I am working on this newer version of
> ToriOS to continue the current developments I have been working on.  I
> will also return to Jessie and make an updated image when I have a
> better understanding of Stretch and the requirements of it, or build a
> working ISO (if it is straight forward to do so).
>

>From the development point of view, I'd love to see ToriOS with 64-bit
image based on Debian 8 rather than Ubuntu, at least for now!