Re: admin users sudo vs su

On 1/13/19 8:33 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have noticed that ToriOS uses sudo over su (which is default in Debian)
>
> I have added information on this to the manual, but also added a note
> about the fact that Debian uses su.   This will hopefully avoid any
> confusion among users.
>
> How would a user go back to the usual Debian root / user system. Is this
> a case of apt remove sudo ?  Asking as some users who are coming from
> Debian may want to switch back.
>
> I am guessing we are using sudo as ToriOS was also based on Ubuntu, it
> would probably confuse users a little if the same OS, used two different
> methods depending on the base OS.  Is the long term plan to go back to
> using su or stay with sudo?
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

ToriOS is aimed at the average user, rather than the 'power' user.  In a
normal Debian install you are the admin (root), I skip creating the
admin account and set up a user account (like in Ubuntu), and give that
user all the sudo rights needed to do normal tasks.  You may still use
su, just like on Ubuntu.  su simply gives you complete admin access for
the entire session of commands, where as sudo is for a single command.
I don't want the main user to be root, since that comes with more
responsibility than many casual users want.

So, in short, the user can use sudo or su where they like.  Debian
includes both, so in a normal Debian install you can use sudo or su.
The main difference between ToriOS and Debian (vanilla) is that we do
not set up the main user as root/admin.  We set them up as a normal
user.  Feel free to change any examples of long series of commands to use:

$ su
# command1
# command2
# command3
# ...
# exit
$ echo "Done"

Be sure to use $ prompt for non root, and # prompt for su, though