Re: Time Investment

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 10:17 PM Nio Wiklund <wiklund.olle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Den 2020-07-02 kl. 08:14, skrev Ali Linx (amjjawad):
> > Dear ToriOS family,
> >
> > Hope you are doing well.
> >
> > I have some ideas for the future of ToriOS. Before I share what I have,
> > I just want to know who is willing to invest sometime into the project?
> > otherwise, it would be pointless to share ideas that will remain only
> > ideas without a real implementation. Again, this is about the future of
> > the project.
> >
> > Let me know if you are still interested.
> >
> > Thank you!
> > --
> > Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>
> Hi Ali,

Hello Nio, so glad to read from you, yet again :-)

> Nice to hear from you :-)

Likewise, my good friend!

> I think that the internet's demand on computing power and memory as well
> as the used computers avaiable at reasonable prices have changed a lot
> since we worked with ToriOS.

No doubt. I'm aware of this. I've been thinking about that for a very long
time.

> For that reason I think several concepts
> must be replaced rather than modified in order to make something that is
> useful for many people today.

I already have more than one plan. I wanted to make sure the team is still
around, otherwise there is no point to share any ideas and there is no one
to work on it.

> I can take part in some discussions, but I cannot promise to spend a lot
> of time for a new generation of ToriOS.

I appreciate your honesty and I know that I couldn't be active for a long
time myself. Maybe we need to do some major changes!

> Have you considered merging our efforts with some other Linux distro?

Not really, at least not yet.

> There are several current distros, that address computers that are
> getting old, but are still useful today.

It might be a good idea for everyone who is interested in 'old computers'
to meet? nowadays, platforms such as Zoom, Google Meet, etc are super
familiar and are being used much more than before!

I'm interested to host a meeting with all of those who might be interested.
If we can't do it for whatever reason, then maybe we can discuss that
somewhere?! not sure where though. By 'where' I mean which website? I don't
want to waste time creating tons of usernames and passwords and login to
different websites just to achieve something like this. This is 2020. I'm
sure there are different ways to do this nowadays.

> Best regards
> Nio

Thank you so much, Nio!