tortoisebzr-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Introduction

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Mark Hammond
<mhammond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote regarding TSVN:

> They actually try very hard to get it right.  They have a fairly
> sophisticated mechanism for using the state of selected items etc to
> determine what to display.  This isn't to say they get it right all the
> time, but the mechanism is used and can express some fairly complex
> conditions.

I should have made it much clearer that I have *great* respect for what the
TSVN team has done.  And despite all their hard work, I am still
occasionally surprised by the options it presents me.  As you point out,
this to some extent reflects the multitude of possible workflows possible
with any good vcs.

This exact observation has prompted me to imagine customizing the context
menu to reflect the workflow policy (set by humans) on a per-project and/or
per-user basis.  This idea is probably about as problematic as it is useful,
so I have not acted on it.  I am motivated by a need to have many people of
varying expertise contributing to a project, without forcing all of them to
become vcs experts.  (I tried.  I failed.)  I have project teams comprising
developers, documentation writers, quality engineers, technical support
staff and (gasp!) managers.  (Can you guess which group I would like to
limit to two menu options? <grin>)  I realize that this is not -- strictly
speaking -- about version control.  It's about making version control
productive for a wider user base.

Maybe someone has a better way of achieving a similar goal.  I just throw it
out here if anyone is interested in discussing it, including telling me why
it's a bad idea.  :)  Thanks for letting me share my thoughts.

cm