tortoisebzr-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Tortoise UI model

Hi Carlos,
  Thanks for the feedback,

> The problem of pushing changes or calling for a merge is
> a lot harder.  Here, maybe TBZR  needs a config switch.

> Mode 1 is for people who are trusted to push their own changes.

This would probably need to be phrased as "trust themselves to push changes"
(ie, it is something they personally opt-in or out of), but it is possible
something like this is workable.  In effect, its "just" another
user-preference that controls the UI.

> Even here, there are multiple workflows, but just being clear that it's a
> push simplifies a lot.  Mode 2 is for people who have to ask
permission/help
> to merge their changes back into a mainline.  Again, there are choices,
but
> fewer than there would be if the modes were all combined.  Modes 1 and 2
are
> so different socially, that separate "modes" seem prudent.

> The project leader would decide who's a Mode 1 user and who's Mode 2.

This would be moving towards storing that information in the branch itself,
which isn't going to happen in the short term - but I think that is fine -
people would be happy to enable an option that says (say) "I'm more
comfortable with a centralized VCS model" if it meant the tool better
supported that preference.

My problem is that this is still too abstract for me to build a mental
picture of.  Could you possibly develop this a little more into some
specific ideas about how the UI would adapt to this preference/model?

Thanks!

Mark