ubible-dev team mailing list archive

TTS

A quick update on some things:
On the SWORD list we have been discussing the Audio feature and Hison who develops for iOS was explaining that he uses the TTS (Siri) to read along with his Bible program. He provided a clip (in Chinese) and it was very natural sounding. I think TTS would be worth looking into. AFAIK at present the uPhone has no TTS program (though it may be that they develop one in the future iterations) however that doesn't mean we cannot use a TTS that is functional in Ubuntu. Here are a few links if anyone wants to look at them, and get some ideas, or if anyone has a TTS they are familiar with that works well. The last TTS I used in Ubuntu wasn't extremely good at sounding natural (like Siri), but using TTS would dramatically reduce the download size for Audio. You could install one package and have a few dependancies and have every Bible in every language (supported by the TTS) instantly an Audio Bible. Of course we could even use more than one if it is needed. I would like to use open source software as much as possible, but I am open to any ideas about getting a reliable Audio engine in place. This, at present, is the most interesting of ideas (as far as size of audio bibles, and automatically being able to listen to any one of them)

http://www.babelfish.org/tts-free.htm
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/
and,
http://www.moreofit.com/similar-to/espeak.sourceforge.net/Top_10_Sites_Like_Sourceforge_Espeak/
though I think some of those a proprietary.

Also, if I understand it, our program should translate itself into other languages as is appropriate (for the interface), is this correct, or am I misunderstanding?

--
Regards

Follow ups