ubible-dev team mailing list archive

Re: My Notes from Canonical 's Design Clinic of Brad Well's Bible app

Hi Israel,

Wow, those are great notes, thank you! It's great that Brad Wells submitted
his Bible app and that they reviewed it. Once our app is further along, we
should consider submitting it to the Design Clinic.

So over the past week, I've written up some designs for what goes in what
page, etc. Where would you prefer that I save the design for further
reference and collaboration? I was planning on using Google Drive, since I
know we both at least have Google accounts, but I can also put them in a
Wiki page in our GitHub project.

I will be out of town travelling until Monday, so I won't be able to work
on code at all, but I will have two 7+ hour rides, so I will have plenty of
time to work on designs for our app, and will work on integrating the
things you've noticed.

So, in regards to your questions:

 * Currently, to switch between chapters, one must click "Go To" in the
toolbar and enter the next or previous chapter. It's really bad, I am
working on a solution. I was trying to add a pull down from the top/pull up
from the bottom action to go to the next chapter but was having some
issues. Do you think we should change chapters by pulling up/down, or by
swiping left/right?

 * Accessing footnotes/Strong's numbers. This will probably open a new page
on the page stack, and the user can get back by tapping the back button in
the toolbar.

Also, currently to go to a chapter, one must enter the text name of the
book. That's going to be hard on a keyboard and also requires that the user
(who may be new to the Bible) know the exact spelling of a book. What I was
thinking is we implement a dialog that looks like a date picker, but with
two columns, one for the book, one for the chapter. Something similar to
what I have in Ubuntu Tasks: http://i.imgur.com/zCxhc2p.png

One other thing. As you've probably noticed, I sent a couple of design
questions to the Ubuntu Phone mailing list concerning selecting verses and
playing audio. I still haven't gotten a reply, but hopefully we'll be able
to ensure our app does an excellent job at following the design guidelines.

Have a blessed weekend!
~ Michael