Re: django model inheritance dilemma

On 11 March 2012 23:00, Janos Gyerik <janos.gyerik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I would agree that the proposals should be unique as well to make the
>> transition easier and avoid two non-unique proposals to be 'accepted'
>> since that would cause a conflict.
>
> Not sure we're on the same page ;-)
>
> The issue in question is uniqueness of
> application+accomplishment_descriptor. This should be unique in
> Accomplishment, but not in AccomplishmentProposal, because we want to
> have multiple proposals for the same
> application+accomplishment_descriptor.

I agree with you, Janos. So there is only one filed-first-bug in
ubuntu-community, but potentially many filed-first-bug proposed
improvements.

> Actually David commented (and maybe forgot to hit "reply all") that
> abstract model inheritance in django could be a good solution. I will
> add a trello for this soon.

I am not sure what is this, but bow to your Django mad-skills. :-)

> About conflicts, I think there will not be conflicts, because saving
> changes to an accomplishment won't be patch or merge operation, but a
> simple overwrite. I could be totally wrong, but the way I imagine it
> is moderators look at proposals, and take from it what they like and
> ignore what they don't, and they just want to overwrite. Of course if
> multiple moderators overwrite an accomplishment at the same time that
> would be a problem. Anyway all this is a hypothesis (about the
> overwriting), maybe somebody can confirm how this should work.

Agreed. We could even potentially allow mods to accept changes on a
per-field basis so next to each field there is an accept/reject
button. I agree that there should not really be conflicts.

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager