Re: The Road To 0.1

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Duncan McGreggor <duncan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Jono Bacon <jono@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>
> Hi!
>
> [snip]
>
>>  * Make the daemon a twistd application - right now the daemon process
>> is not a real daemon (it needs to able to be started/stopped as a
>> system process). Fortunately, it looks like having it support twistd
>> will serve this purpose. Duncan started a blueprint at
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu-accomplishments-system/+spec/daemon-code-improvements,
>> but this needs expanding. I will reach out to Duncan to discuss this.
>
> Hey all, I'm now back from PyCon now, and hope to get to some of this
> on the weekend...
>
> More later!

I headed up to Tennessee this weekend to visit my Dad (80 years old!)
but did manage to get some hacking done; there's a new branch up for
review:
  http://goo.gl/OdOKP

This work is done in preparation for this bug:
  #946850 Add support for running the daemon the "Twisted Way"

I should be able to start that one soon, now that much of what was in
the way has been cleaned up and the app file is now fairly pristine
and ready for actual Twisted application code.

The only blocker that I can imagine (right now) would be the command
line options; I may need to open a new ticket to create a Twisted
plugin for the daemon command line parameters (e.g., adding those
options to the legal ones that can be passed to "twistd"; I'm not sure
what twistd will swallow when it gets called), but we'll see; there
may be a quicker hack around that issue, and we can save the more
involved "right way" for a later time.