Re: Question about

On 22 April 2012 10:51, Simon Watson <simon.m.watson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok - so, I think we need to spec out exactly what we are targeting and
> what accomplishments we want first.
>
> We need to:
> 1. Identify accomplishments we want for askubuntu/ubuntuforums -
> presumably this depends on what data we can successfully extract from
> the APIs?

I agree. The AskUbuntu side seems to already have a defined set of
badges, so they could be simply imported. On the forums side we would
need to come up with them. Importantly, these should not be "posted
500 posts" types things. See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/Creating/Guidelines for more
guidelines.

> 2. API work:
>
> Ubuntu Forums - vbulletin API: Think we'll have to code this up
> ourselves using HTTP accesses but it doesn't look too complex (though
> it is less well documented than stackexchange appears to be).

Cool. Are you planning on doing this?

> askubuntu - stackexchange API: There appears to be a python wrapper
> for Stackoverflow detailed here:
> https://github.com/lucjon/Py-StackExchange. I don't know whether this
> is something we want to consider using?

I have no idea how this is used. Anyone else have experience with this?

> Obviously one thing we're going to have to deal with, which I'm not
> sure has been dealt with elsewhere in this project, is storing/not
> storing password data?

Indeed. This could conceivably be stored in .extrainformation, but we
should think about how we can encrypt this - right now all
extra-information is stored in plain-text.

> Sorry this has been a bit slow in coming - I've had quite a hectic
> week and not been 100% health wise either.
>
> Hopefully the above can get the ball rolling. Perhaps we could split
> the task up into two (ubuntu forums and the stack exchange stuff seem
> to be pretty distinct). If that was the case, I'd prefer to just take
> on the stack exchange / ask ubuntu one as it is an area I have more
> experience/interest in.

Agreed. Why don't you start looking into the stack-exchange support. Sound good?

I would recommend you create an accomplishment for each stack-exchange
badge and the script will check using the web API if a given user has
accomplished it.

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon