Re: Web Viewer Project

Hi All,

Firstly, Denis, it would be awesome if you could contribute! We
definitely need plenty of hands on deck. :-)

Secondly, thanks, Janos, for your email here. Comments inline:

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Janos Gyerik <info@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> These are the big tasks I can think of in terms of Django, please chip in!
> Make sure to read Jono's specs first though, otherwise this might not
> make a lot of sense.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/Specs/WebGallery

Thanks for fleshing this out...it looks great!

Feel free to add the database schema to the wiki page as you work on this.

> 1. Initial Django project. Some things can be reused from the web
> editor we worked on before, but keep in mind that this is a completely
> independent project.

Agreed.

> 2. Initial model design, but this will depend on what we decide on the
> other items below, keep reading!
>
> 3. Will OpenID login do the right thing if the user changes username
> in Django's auth? (Or else we will need to implement the username
> change elsewhere, like a user profile)

My hunch was that the user authenticates with openid and maybe it
defaults to the username from openid, otherwise the user can pick
their own username specific to the web gallery.

> 4. Cache and periodically sync the accomplishments collections into
> Django models for easy browsing. i18n may be a challenge here

For the accomplishments collections, I agree that a regular scan should work.

In terms of i18n, accomplishments collections include translations.

> 5. Cache and periodically sync the user trophies into Django models
> for easy browsing. (Btw how can we get the share id of a user?)

The users trophies will just be in the share, and we could potentially
have a script on the machine that listens for a new trophy from the U1
DownloadFinished signal and then updates the model.

> 6. Btw, I think the web gallery doesn't need to check nor enforce
> strict referential integrity in the accomplishments and user trophies
> at the database schema level, because it is only for viewing and
> browsing, and these checks are handled in the desktop app.

For community accomplishments that are verified on the server, any
non-valid files are deleted. For local accomplishments though, they
are not deleted - although I would like to add a check that if a
.trophy does not match a corrosponding accomplishment in the
collection it is deleted.

So in a nutshell, the trophies in the share should be reliable and
have integrity.

> 7. Fully and properly i18n everything

Indeed.

> 8. Views using Ubuntu theme

Yep.

> A side note: I'm wondering if in the future it should be possible to
> register trophies using the web gallery, not only with the desktop
> app. I think this would be nice, to let folks who don't have an ubuntu
> box but contribute to ubuntu to get their trophies too. (not that this
> would affect much the initial design)

This could be another project that could fit into this...nice idea.

> These are just thoughts, nothing here is decided, so please feel free
> to chip in. If you are interested in taking charge of a specific area
> you like, you can just go ahead and do it.

Looks great!

> I will try to get step 1 above done soon so we have something to work
> with. I'm super busy though so that won't happen before the weekend.
> If you cannot wait you can "just do it" send in your branch url.

Thanks!

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon