Python3

I just spent a month working on some code that has been ported to python3, and I found that it wasn't terrible, but that finding out which libraries are or are not ported is interesting. I think that twistd, for example, is still python2 as is python-imaging. SInce 12.10 will not have python2 on the install media and there is a push to move to python3 as quickly as possible, I think after 0.3 ships we may want to spend some time investigating the pain involved to move to python3.

One suggest strategy was running our code with the "-3" flag which will warn about things that are not python3 friendly. We could fix all of these and greatly simplify the move when our dependencies are ported. It was also suggested that all our interfaces need to be "unicode clean" and that good unit tests will be key during this porting effort (which we have!)

So sometime in September I'm planning on starting this effort for the daemon. I'd like a goal of 0.4 to be "ready for python3". Any thoughts?

Resources:

This is the "canonical" (not in the sense of the company) python3 porting guide: http://python3porting.com

A video about dealing with unicode in python3:
http://pyvideo.org/video/948/pragmatic-unicode-or-how-do-i-stop-the-pain

--

Matthew (Matt) Fischer
LP: http://launchpad.net/~mfisch