Re: Using video to put a face on Ubuntu

I agree. I think we should appeal the different user bases or segments,
tailoring the advert to each, and in some cases to all of them at the same
time. Like advertising PS3 or XBox360 as a complete solution in some cases,
and in others focusing in that is it the best family solution (Move or
Kinect), the best FPS solution (PS3 Killzone as exclusive and the big
mainstream hits too Call of Duty franchise, ..), XBox360 (with Gears of War
as exclusive plus the mainstream ones), the best racing solution.

So I mean, I think we should play in both fields, "segment focused" efforts
in one hand, and "whole platform/solution" in the other.

Now talking about Ubuntu, I would put the spotlight on the designers,
artists and entertaining segments, which will give the cool effect to Ubuntu
that will lure more people to Ubuntu.

   - *3D*: It is worth seeing what people is doing with Blender these days,
   some of them doing their presentations on Ubuntu laptops. Watch the Blender
   conference 2010 (videos are several on friday, saturday and sunday)
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCoQXgXWSc8&feature=related. Specially
   interesting is Bioblender  <http://bioblender.eu/> http://bioblender.eu/ (in
   the video, Bioblender is running on Win7, but they all the time stress that
   Bioblender has been developed with open source tools and runs on Linux)
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-2SLVUakL0 look at 4:29 and 20:40
   - *Music*: I think that the UbuntuStudio initiative it is ok, but for me
   it is wrong because you have to choose between installing Ubuntu or
   UbuntuStudio. For me this is a huge disadvantage over Win7 or OSX. We should
   be able to have *one* only distro (Ubuntu+UbuntuStudio) that is able to
   run the music apps on Ubuntu without the RT kernel issues or the ALSA / JACK
   configuration nightmare. Also we should be able to get as low latency as
   Win7 and OSX have, this is what the RT Kernel is for, right? Why do they
   have it built in on the OS?. On the other hand lately some apps are gaining
   momentum like
      - Renoise: www.renoise.com (video
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZoCscMbW9w&feature=player_embedded)
      For this video is an example of what a cool OS can do. Renoise
runs on Win7,
      OSX, and Linux. That video is running under Win7. This video is specially
      cool because they are using the Novation Launchpad with the app. Another
      cool thing with this app is that they have recently added
scripting with LUA
      to it. This will boost the results, I bet.
      - Energy XT: www.energy-xt.com (video
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5cLvS7-gv4&feature=channel_page)
      Unfortunately we are loosing a very interesting feature, VST
compatibility,
      only available on WIn7.
      - The ideas about these two apps have been taken from the indamixx
      page. A new company creating a new distro, from Meego in their
last version,
      and bundling it with hardware. Although the distro can be purchased
      separately http://indamixx.com/shop-224.html the packed distro is
      called Transmission Pro OS. http://indamixx.com/ This is just Linux,
      and what they have achieved is amazing. I think we need this cool factor.
      Worth watching these videos
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrb4YiuitP0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ijkoxFhUQ&list=ULRtXAYVwzJrk&playnext=1
   - *Games!!!: *Ubuntu will not be mainstream without games. We still need
   to improve graphics drives, specially on ATI/AMD cards, right? I was eager
   to get Steam on Linux, but seems that inconsistency with the graphics/sound
   APIs side of the OS have made Valve desist, isn't it? We still have
   PlayOnLinux, but broken currently. It does not work. At least we have MAME.
   - *Office*: For me OpenOffice is much more mature than people say. I do
   not know why there is no more support to IBM Lotus Symphony on Ubuntu 64
   bits, something is this regard should be done. For me it is clear that the
   Open Source office solutions are the way to go. Soon their user base is
   going to be expanded exponentially as the new fast growing countries use
   more and more the computers.

*Pros of Ubuntu*:

   - Eyecandy, Ubuntu is absolutely mature in that matter.
   - Eficiency, for older hardware.
   - Stability.
   - Security, we should advertise on this. I am always reading reports of
   how the eCommerce could grow if the people weren't so scared about buying
   online.
   - Programming and Scientists, I have many friends in theses fields, and I
   know they are comfortable on Linux or Ubuntu.
   - Virtualization: Virtualbox, very good.
   - Ubuntu software center, it is a marvel to have all the software under
   one place, that feels secure. For me this is one of the biggest advantages
   of Linux, the repositories.
   - Ubuntu Remix, for tablets and Netbooks. I am eager to get a proper
   tablet, at least Atom and 1GB of RAM to install Ubuntu Netbook on it, and
   have a proper OS on a tablet. Very good the approach to ARM CPUs.
   - Skype, finally.
   - OpenERP client,OpenBravo, Centrify already in the software center.
   - Multimonitor setup. Ubuntu already works better than Win7 with several
   monitors. This is a pleasure, but it could work better if I were able to
   display a workspace on each monitor.
   - Professional support: Ubuntu and Canonical are already doing this. But
   this is not marketed! Who knows this?? I had to dive into the Canonical
   pages to find out about the certification and partnering programs.
   - others ... R project, math software, .... (why Mathematica is not on
   the Ubuntu Software Center)

I think the future is with Ubuntu, and the more could it is the software and
the more HTML5 progresses, the better. Flash support needs to improve,
though.

Most importantly, I am seeing at the university that little by little they
are substituting WinXP OS with Ubuntu on the same hardware and people are
accepting it really well. Two years ago the students complained, I was the
Ubuntu freak, people know I liked Ubuntu, I had to explain what an OS is
("Faculty of Economics and Business Sciences" and Marketing too) an what
were the differences between XP and Ubuntu. But not today anymore, people
just do not notice it or don't care at all. Only a little in regards of
OpenOffice being considered a cheaper office. But for the 3 to 10 times a
day 5-minutes Facebook, mail and some website check, they go absolutely
fine. There are computers everywhere in the university.

*What can Ubuntu and Canonical do?* In my point of view (and not counting on
the resources necessary for this), Ubuntu must lead several initiatives for
this.

1) Please Valve and Steam and if possible, important engines such as the
Unreal Engine, the Id software one .... I think Ubuntu must champion some
hard initiatives (like the one with Wayland) to have a real substitute to
DirectX/Direct3D. Wii and PS3 run on Linux and OpenGL, so they must have the
other APIs (sound, input from the controllers), it is just they are a
unified and clear platform where to develop, we need that. Why not sort of
copy the solution they are using on PS3 or Apple? They are Linux/ Unix after
all. I know about SDL, but it is obvious that it is not enough.

2) Doing this (1) also many other little developers will want to create
cheap apps (1 to 5€, or for free because the use the service model, such as
Evernote) for Ubuntu. I know Ubuntu it is working on that as I see the
progresses that the Ubuntu Software Center is doing.

3) Once API's are *unified and clear* making contact with the main software
developers. I know the Canonical Partners and the "For Purchase" is there
for that. People criticize that having For Purchase apps in Ubuntu is like
marrying the devil, but I know that only the geeks care for that. Maybe if
the software developers would know that their apps are not going to be
pirated in Ubuntu because they are properly treated in the Ubuntu Software
Center they would accept lowering their prices and making them more
affordable. We all not that is happening with people such as the architects
that need very specific apps like Autocad or Archicad. Having Autocad,
Photoshop, Mathematica, Steam right on the Software Center would be an
incredible lure for many people. Believe me, people just want on OS that
runs well, the purists also have Debian, and the OpenSource apps in Ubuntu.

4) Once we have made this and have the big ones on board, we would be able
to gain momentum and get benefit from the network economies (Stategy
Management concept -my favourite- those that are important in standards).
Once achieved that, Ubuntu would be able to earn money a little % with each
transaction (not from the user as when you purchase Win7) . As the low cost
Ryanair air flights company does.

5) Proper professional support for Ubuntu. It is there, but I think there is
not enough marketing effort to it. Red Hat (even CentOS) is famous for that,
they have got that niche in the Linux workspace. Oracle has been doing it
too, their Unbreakable Linux initiative (good branding too!!). A proper
professional newsletter should be set in the same fashion that all the big
players have (ex-Sun, Oracle, IBM...). For example, Sun where dedicating
several of their newsletters to Pentaho, the Open Source Business
Intelligence solution, and demonstrating how well integrated they were with
Pentaho. Why not doing that, and with OpenERP, Centrify, O3Spaces ........

*Apologies:*
I would like to apologize to all you, this is my first email and this has
been surely extensively discussed and taken into account as I see Ubuntu is
already doing much of what I have told.

I would also like to apologize for the many mistakes I am surely doing while
typing this. I am in a hurry. Sorry.

Keep up the amazing work Ubuntu!!

Best regards,

Alex Marin