Re: Global-isation?

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 17:04 +0000, alan c wrote:
> But if the advert is aimed at a mass of ordinary Windows users who
> have (Windows)  because they are stuck with it, but  don't enjoy it
> nor feel happy or secure with it, etc etc, then the content of the
> advert may need to be adjusted.

I feel it ought to be aimed that way - to me, this is where the market
is, for good or for ill.

> Recently in conversation  he said 'I *hate* Windows!'
> I am not his normal PC contact. His usual contact told him no
> uncertain terms  'If you cant do Windows  then avoid Linux, it is not for you.'

People who say things like that have never known Linux in a recent
incarnation.  Before I installed Ubuntu for my sister, she was told in
no uncertain terms by her partner's daughter and his daughter's partner
- both very computer literate - something along the same lines.  I got a
new hard drive so that if all else failed, she could have her 'old'
computer back.  I took my netbook along and let the young couple play
with it for an hour.  That was enough to convince them.  They are now
going to put Ubuntu on their PC!!!!  In due course, when the dust has
settled, I'll install the second hard drive and re-format it for extra
storage.

Since installation, my sister's phoned me twice only for help.  One was
because someone had sent her an MS publisher file.  I told her her old
computer couldn't have read that either.  She went to see the guy and
he's promised to send her PDF's next time, so no problem.

Next call - "Ubuntu wants to update me - is this safe?"  In almost three
weeks, no problems at all and she's delighted with the speed her 'new'
computer runs at.

Regards,			Barry Drake.
--
Sent from my desktop using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.