Re: Global-isation?

On 07/12/10 05:33, Archibald Platypus wrote:
If Ubuntu was looking to do some real video advertising, I have a
wonderful idea for a global market. The theme simply has to be freedom.

The content of adverts - a nice subject.

On a personal level freedom is *exactly* what makes me love GNU/Linux. Although the reason I started with (GNU/Linux) was really the lack of trust I had in Windows for anything online and financial.

However, 'freedom' is not something which seems to bother most other users (of PCs with Windows) that I actually know or come across at the computer fairs I display at!

Freedom is something of a social political thing. Unless you are half starving, or being beaten, or chained to a wall, most people are well off enough not to care about such things as freedom. (Although it is central in my own thinking!) Even though I am (sometimes) a local 'political' activist - MP, Councillors, elections, whatever, I am always horrified at how *little* most people seem to actually CARE about such stuff as freedom even though it is hugely important.

So, my suggestion is that if the advert is aimed at a nich market of a small percentage of Windows users who are also freedom aware, then, ok.

But if the advert is aimed at a mass of ordinary Windows users who have (Windows) because they are stuck with it, but don't enjoy it nor feel happy or secure with it, etc etc, then the content of the advert may need to be adjusted.

I have just installed Ubuntu dual xp boot on a friends laptop, he is a highly nervous, elderly, user, highly intelligent, but has never been comfortable using a computer.

Recently in conversation  he said 'I *hate* Windows!'
I am not his normal PC contact. His usual contact told him no uncertain terms
'If you cant do Windows  then avoid Linux, it is not for you.'

I even heard almost exactly this from another acquaintance I am helping with Ubuntu - in that case, a local PC repair one person shop said the same thing to him (on the other side of the country). I am not making this up!

I know that even my 90 year old relative can happily use Ubuntu for online shopping - as long as *I* administer the PC, which I do.

My friend now has a Ubuntu dual boot alternative because he trusted me to install it. If an advert was to be aimed at him, it would need to motivate him (or like him) to seek out a friend to install and administer for him. A different style and content of advert. This friend is a real political activist, but 'freedom' in a laptop is not something which grabs him (yet).

This friend would be, I think, be attracted by 'simplicity' of use, and ease of good security.

I have another friend who actually loves openness and freedom, but only started seriously using his Ubuntu dual boot option (not xp) after many thousands of pounds were taken from his bank account!! The good news was that he saw it in time to stop the transfer! Some luck. So in his case, it would be the ease of good security to attract, but he obviously did not believe it until it really bit him!

Personally I can say that using a computer is now a JOY, whereas with Windows it was, for me, tedious and worrisome, and always beset with interruptions and stuff going on I did not understand. What chance do most ordinary users have? I am fairly techie compared to most PC users.

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user