ubuntu-allstars team mailing list archive

Re: UDS - O Setlist

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 13:38 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Steve Conklin's message of Thu Apr 07 10:01:18 -0700 2011:

> > > I have to be honest, I think there was *too* much structure in Orlando. ;)
> > >
> > > I totally get the desire to want to put on a good show, rehearsal and have
> > > everything Just So.  OTOH, I personally fall more to the improvisational side
> > > of things.  I like mixing it up, jamming, seeing what happens, and not
> > > worrying so much about the results.  The latter tends to work itself out if
> > > everyone's having fun and the alcohol is flowing. :)
> > >

> > My 2 cents:
> >
> > Over the last couple of years, things have moved away from a loose sort
> > of style of organization toward what we had at Orlando, and I think that
> > Orlando was the best jam we've ever had at UDS.
>
> It was pretty cool, and I think I was maybe among a very tiny group who
> were disappointed at not being able to participate, which was my own
> fault for not figuring out when and where the practice sessions were. The
> DJ sessions were *crazy* cool, and I danced like a fool with a bunch of
> people until they booted us out way into the night.
>
> I think peoples' frustration in the past wasn't in not being included, but
> in not knowing how to be included.
>
> The way I see it, those of you with the skills and experience to put on such
> an amazing jam are like the ubuntu core-dev's. Those of us who like to sing
> or maybe know one song on the guitar well enough to play publicly are like
> contributors seeking sponsorship.
>
> I think as long as the contributors know how, and are welcomed with open
> arms for their small bits, there will be no hard feelings. I think if
> there is a feeling that their contributions to the show aren't wanted
> (which is how I felt until afterward when I realized I had just missed
> the boat on rehearsing), then its hard not to get a negative feeling
> about the jam.

I think this is an excellent analogy, and it helped me see this from the
point of view of the more casual participants. Thanks.

I agree, I think more and better announcements about how to participate
would help a lot.

> Its also important to note that in Orlando RockBand was setup so people
> could do a little mini-jam before the real jam started. That was a pretty
> cool addition to the party. Maybe they should do a Kinect this time? ;)

This time is going to be different from any of the past ones that I'm
aware of because it's at a bar near the hotel. From what I know the
facilities look nice but I have no idea how it might be organized to
allow multiple types of activities.