Tracking versions of click packages

Hi,

Thinking more about how the upload/download service will work has led me
to some questions about how we will handle new versions of a click
package.

Imagine we have a published click package, that has a single version of
the binary stored in click-updown.

Now the developer wants to publish a new version. They need to upload
the new binary to click-updown. This can't replace the existing file, so
we need to track and identify multiple versions.

If we give each binary uploaded to click-updown a version identifier
(can be entirely separate to whatever version the developer calls it)
then that version can be reported to s-c-a for providing to users. To be
more specific:

  * Developer uploads a binary for package A, it is assigned version 3.
  * click-updown stores this and makes it available at
    https://download.apps.ubuntu.com/A/3/something
  * s-c-a knows that v3 is published for package A, and so can construct
    this URL for downloads (or perhaps the url is opaque to s-c-a and
    just provided by click-updown)
  * s-c-a can choose whether to provide the v3 or previous published
    version to users based on the published state of the application.

Is this how you envisioned it working from the s-c-a side? If not, what
would it look like?

Thanks,

James

Follow ups