Re: Tracking versions of click packages

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 12:32:40PM -0400, James Westby wrote:
> Thinking more about how the upload/download service will work has led me
> to some questions about how we will handle new versions of a click
> package.
>
> Imagine we have a published click package, that has a single version of
> the binary stored in click-updown.
>
> Now the developer wants to publish a new version. They need to upload
> the new binary to click-updown. This can't replace the existing file, so
> we need to track and identify multiple versions.
>
> If we give each binary uploaded to click-updown a version identifier
> (can be entirely separate to whatever version the developer calls it)

As I said to Roberto at the end of last week, I don't think there's any
point having multiple version identifiers for a package.  As long as we
reject attempts to upload duplicate versions, then we can just have
developers assign version numbers, which is nice and simple and
transparent.  (We don't necessarily have to be as strict about
upgrade/downgrade logic as we are for .debs; for example an attempt to
upload a downgraded version could be an "are you sure?" warning rather
than an error.)

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]