Re: Tracking versions of click packages

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM, James Westby <james.westby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thinking more about how the upload/download service will work has led me
> to some questions about how we will handle new versions of a click
> package.
>
> Imagine we have a published click package, that has a single version of
> the binary stored in click-updown.
>
> Now the developer wants to publish a new version. They need to upload
> the new binary to click-updown. This can't replace the existing file, so
> we need to track and identify multiple versions.
>
> If we give each binary uploaded to click-updown a version identifier
> (can be entirely separate to whatever version the developer calls it)
> then that version can be reported to s-c-a for providing to users. To be
> more specific:
>
>   * Developer uploads a binary for package A, it is assigned version 3.
>   * click-updown stores this and makes it available at
>     https://download.apps.ubuntu.com/A/3/something
>   * s-c-a knows that v3 is published for package A, and so can construct
>     this URL for downloads (or perhaps the url is opaque to s-c-a and
>     just provided by click-updown)
>   * s-c-a can choose whether to provide the v3 or previous published
>     version to users based on the published state of the application.
>
> Is this how you envisioned it working from the s-c-a side? If not, what
> would it look like?

This sounds quite close to what I had understood myself. Since the package
is being uploaded via devportal/myapps/sca, we already know the version of
the new binary. I think that click-updown should be treated as a simple
storage backend and the url should be generated by sca (and available as
part of the click metadata we publish).