Re: Per-user versions of packages

On 07/09/2013 09:53 PM, Ted Gould wrote:

> It's me again, new thread.
>
> We have each package getting installed in a pre-defined directory based on the
> version information.  So it is very possible to have two versions of the same
> application installed.  We also have per-user lists of applications, which
> creates an interesting matrix of possibilities.  What I'm concerned about is
> whether they make sense for actual usage of the system.
>
> Is it reasonable to expect two users of the same device to want two different
> versions of the same app installed?

I thought this was a requirement from design, so perhaps they can weigh in.
Maybe that is what this thread was started for, but you got me instead. :P

I think it is reasonable to expect this behavior. On a multi-user system, if I
downloaded the app in the first place, then my child later downloads a new
version, I would be quite surprised to see a potentially radically different
application when it is my turn to use the device next. I think supporting
multiple versions offers the element of least surprise.

I think we have to support this for certain scenarios where applications are
purchased. Ie, the initial version is $5 but an upgrade is $2. I pay for the
initial version and so does my spouse. Now one of us upgrades and we both have
the new version, but only one of us paid. I haven't been in any discussions on
paid apps, but I imagine we would want to support the developer in as many ways
as possible. Ie, buy the app once for all users on the system, buy the app for
each user on the system, pay for upgrades, etc, etc.

Perhaps others could comment on how we will support purchasing apps?