Re: Multiple "Applications" per click package

On 07/09/2013 09:47 PM, Ted Gould wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I was chatting with some folks about Click packages and the idea of having
> multiple entry points for the user for the application.  In legacy application
> terms this would be having the Click package install multiple desktop files.
> Should this be possible?  Is it a requirement to have it?
>
> I think that this creates an odd user experience.  You're sitting on the
> application lens, you see an application there which you click on and install,
> then it morphs into two icons.  Seems a bit odd to me.
>
> I think that the counter-argument is that there might be closely related
> applications where a single bundle makes sense.  For instance Facebook main
> application and Facebook Messenger.  While I understand this, I don't think it's
> compelling over the oddity of the first case.
>
> What are other people thinking here?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to say in the beginning that only one desktop
file is allowed as a matter of Ubuntu policy-- especially if it simplifies the
early implementation. I don't think the lowlevel tools themselves should
artificially be limited by this policy though-- ie, there is no reason why click
itself can't support multiple desktop files in a package, or that the security
manifest can't specify multiple apparmor profiles. I think it is hard to predict
what will be useful for application developers at this time, so we've
implemented the tool for handling the security manifest such that it can have an
arbitrary number of apparmor profiles. This way a higher level lint tool can
easily limit it to one now without painting us into a corner down the line.